Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
No Reputation!
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm building up a Voodoo Aizum and just happened to find out that with a 44t XT chainring and an 18T shimano DX cog the chain tension is just right. But I don't always want to run a 71" gear off road LOL!

#1 So can I just add teeth to the cog and subtract from the chainrings and be OK? Such as 42X20, 40X22.

#2 And is 4 teeth (cog or chainring or a combination?) the length of 1 link....exactly? Because then I could run a 40X18 or 36X18 by changing the length of the chain?

#3 Are all 18 tooth cogs exactly the same size? Are all 44 tooth rings exactly the same size?

Thanks for the info :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I'm kinda new at SS and new to these forums, but I've been looking up all of this stuff for the last couple of weeks so I can convert my gearie to a SS.

#1 and #2 According to Sheldon Brown, yes, 4 teeth engage 1 link, wherever they are. Once you find your magic number of teeth vs chain stay length, you can move teeth to either end with the same tension, or add/subtract in 4 tooth increments per link, or two tooth increments with a half link.

#3 Aside from minor mfg differences, they should all be very close to the same.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Replace it when it starts throwing? I dunno. Just doing this as a stop-gap to see if I really like SS as much as I think I will. If I do, I will start saving for a frame with track ends.

·
No Reputation!
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
someslowguy said:
Hi, I'm kinda new at SS and new to these forums, but I've been looking up all of this stuff for the last couple of weeks so I can convert my gearie to a SS.

#1 and #2 According to Sheldon Brown, yes, 4 teeth engage 1 link, wherever they are. Once you find your magic number of teeth vs chain stay length, you can move teeth to either end with the same tension, or add/subtract in 4 tooth increments per link, or two tooth increments with a half link.

#3 Aside from minor mfg differences, they should all be very close to the same.

Hope this helps!
OK, I'll give it a go to change the ratios with the 4 teeth "rule"

It's those pesky minor mfg differences that I'm worried about!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts