Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About the same time Endomaniac found his magic gear combo for his Wily, I found one for the Astrix Rook. 34x18 fit in perfect. How perfect? Well it was the first gear combo put on for SS, and the old 8-speed chain I had in the parts bin wrapped around so nicely all I needed to do was remoce the rear wheel slightly, snap in a quick link, and presto - Rook SS.

Hit some muddy roads on Saturday and some good singletrack on Sunday for a nice 100-mile weekend. Only problem was the weird clicking noise that drove me crazy - could not find where it came from for a long time.....then I found it was the zipper from the shoe covver hitting the crank. Doh!

Attachments

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Cool setup.

Assuming one uses a stretched chain to begin with, does that mean that the ring and cog starts to wear pretty fast if they're new?
If so, they then must wear to a point where they're matched with the chain. Then you need a new chain at some point, which would mean another stretched chain goes onto this now partially worn ring/cog?

I want to run a magic gear setup coming up, and I'd like to hear how folks handle the above situation for the long term.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
@fatchanceti : 34x18 should be closer still. Two less in the back, two more at the front, same number of links required you would say. But, because of the greater diff between front and rear, the chain will have a bit more angle on the BB-rear chale chainstay line, making for a longer line, thus tighter chain. 34x18 is great for flat and rolling terrain.

·
-bustin punks
699 Posts
hmm, 34x18 sounds like a knee buster, especially when trying to pull my daughter in her trailer! It is pretty flat around here, but the last 2-3 miles of my commute is uphill. I was trying to keep that in mind.

As far as the parts making mine up - the chainring is OLD (it will be replaced by a SS specific one soon). The rear cog is new (gussett brand I think). The chain is also new but it's a 9-speed.

I'll throw an 8-sp or similar chain on there as soon as I get a chance. The narrow 9-speed chain isn't totally happy on that rear cog. I was able to link the chain together by slightly derailling the chain on the front. Snapped it together, pedaled the chain back on and bingo. I couldn't get it linked while on both F&R gears.

·
dirty hippy mountainbiker
1,146 Posts
I'm working on that same project. I got a 32: 18 to almost work with a broken-in chain, too tight. I went looking for a half link and got a pintle chain instead. I'm thinking I can get something to work pretty easily with that. Let you know tomorrow.

-M

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rensho said:
Cool setup.

Assuming one uses a stretched chain to begin with, does that mean that the ring and cog starts to wear pretty fast if they're new?
If so, they then must wear to a point where they're matched with the chain. Then you need a new chain at some point, which would mean another stretched chain goes onto this now partially worn ring/cog?

I want to run a magic gear setup coming up, and I'd like to hear how folks handle the above situation for the long term.
I've got 3 bikes running magic gears now;

Astrix Rook 34x18
Wily 32x18 with half link on new chain
Airborne Lucky Strike (26er) 34x18 (I think with a half link- can't remember)

I've put a lot of miles on all but the Wily, which was built back up recently. I did get over a 100 miles on it this last weekend though.

34x18 on a 29 is a little tough but for our winter/early spring riding it's fine. When the high country opens up it will definately hurt and I'll either have to find a new combo or go to a tensioner. I have a Rennen just sitting in a box so it's not like it's a bad option.

Here's a few pictures. The last one is my commuter and it has sliding dropouts - no magic gear needed - I just like showing it off. ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wolfy said:
I'm working on that same project. I got a 32: 18 to almost work with a broken-in chain, too tight. I went looking for a half link and got a pintle chain instead. I'm thinking I can get something to work pretty easily with that. Let you know tomorrow.

-M
My LBS suprised me - they had a smorgasboard of half-links in the shop this last weekend. A year or 2 ago I had to order them from Speedgoat.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fatchanceti said:
hmm, 34x18 sounds like a knee buster, especially when trying to pull my daughter in her trailer! It is pretty flat around here, but the last 2-3 miles of my commute is uphill. I was trying to keep that in mind.

As far as the parts making mine up - the chainring is OLD (it will be replaced by a SS specific one soon). The rear cog is new (gussett brand I think). The chain is also new but it's a 9-speed.

I'll throw an 8-sp or similar chain on there as soon as I get a chance. The narrow 9-speed chain isn't totally happy on that rear cog. I was able to link the chain together by slightly derailling the chain on the front. Snapped it together, pedaled the chain back on and bingo. I couldn't get it linked while on both F&R gears.
I do like the 34x18 for the shorter 2-3 hour rides. I just pulls the high end out of me where as with the l32x18 gearing on the Wily I'm pushing to get the HR up. In a sense though for the steeps it's almost better than having easier gearing - you hit a RF steep and you know immediately that the gear is too tall. The 32x18 I push through those all the while mashing the knees into a fine pulp.

·
bike geek
1,051 Posts
fatchanceti said:
32x20 is pretty close on my FarmBoy (17.5" stays).
34:22 and 32:20 are both close enough on my 445mm (17.52") stays. I needed to file a tiny bit of the dropout away cuz I couldn't get my wheel into the drops (too tight). It has been working great. The chain has stretched a smidge but not enough to loosen it to the point that I'm worried about it coming off. Plus I have a mm or so of play in my dropouts now that I've filed them which is enough to take the extra slack out.

·
1,146 Posts
Here it is. There was a couple seconds there where it was touch and go, but after three minutes of semi relaxing agony and the 1st combo:

It's perfect. Think it'll loosen up on me? The gear is all not worn that much at all.

-M

·
1,146 Posts
Timo,

You may think that you are creating a faster bike by putting roadie tires on your San Jose, but you are SORELY mistaken. The San Jose loves dirt and if you put slicks on it it will be sluggish and unmotivated, then it will force last minute course corrections that send you down side trails on the bike path or bunnyhopping curbs into abandoned lots only to destroy your tires and often send you OTB where it will spit on you and laugh at you while you sit in the dirt. Save yourself some trouble and heartache and put on some knobies! That or keep it chained in the garage at night. I don't trust that byznatch any farther than I can throw her. (about 15 feet I would think)

-M

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wolfy said:
Timo,

You may think that you are creating a faster bike by putting roadie tires on your San Jose, but you are SORELY mistaken. The San Jose loves dirt and if you put slicks on it it will be sluggish and unmotivated, then it will force last minute course corrections that send you down side trails on the bike path or bunnyhopping curbs into abandoned lots only to destroy your tires and often send you OTB where it will spit on you and laugh at you while you sit in the dirt. Save yourself some trouble and heartache and put on some knobies! That or keep it chained in the garage at night. I don't trust that byznatch any farther than I can throw her. (about 15 feet I would think)

-M
Ummm, say what??? ....actually that picture was taken before I rode a double-century on it. I've run this off road and on-road but for 200 miles I chose the option that best fit me. :D

·
1,146 Posts
you clearly have more control over your SJ than I do. Do you use a shock collar? Mine tries to kick of her slicks by riding down stairs!

-M

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here ya go Wolfy......still with the Terrainasaurus's. And it gets action from the trails at the South Foothills all the way up to the water tower by the Tramway! I usually enter over at the top of Copper and ride the lower western trail then up through Glenwood Hills Drive and onto the Montgomery P-lot. (remember those?) :)

You may be onto something though because that 42x17 actually climbs well with the cross tires on the dirt - can't imagine trying that gearing on my MTBs!:eek:

Damn thing is a beast though. Co-worker just bought one too so now it has a twin in the corrale when at work.

Attachments

·
1,146 Posts
Lovely!

I used to live off of Mountain Road by the furrs on Lomas/Tramway and would access the trails from U-Mound. Loved it, but couldn't afford a decent bike at the time so I didn't ride too much. Don't remember the P-lot, but I have ridden the area above Juan Tabo Cyn I think. Used to ride @ night with a full moon on that Sandia Granite w/o a light. I'll be back some day.

-M

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.