Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Well, if the Internet's taught me anything, it's that innovation of any type within the bike industry (that well known charitable organisation) is a very, very bad thing. When Niner makes bikes like this, they may as well just be a company trying to make a profit by offering a novel product with new features.

The Internet experts have taught me that there is a point beyond which any further development is "GOING TOO FAR."

I have been impressed by the restraint and maturity displayed in the various online communities I am a part of in the discussions of this bike, perhaps only rivaled by the civilized discussions surrounding Canyon's Hover Bar.

I am, of course, being sarcastic. I think it looks great, and I'm wholeheartedly sick of the knee jerk reactions I see on Facebook and other places.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I like it! Def blurring some lines, maybe call it a light duty mtb? I just got my gravel bike, haven't even taken it offroad yet, but that last picture looks like a trail that I probably wouldn't take it on. lol

·
Registered
479 Posts
I climbed up a trail similar to that last pic on my Cosmic Stallion over the weekend. Got a standing ovation from the MTB'ers standing around at the top. Cleared it with Cannonball 700x38's.

i wonder what the weight on that puppy is?

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
It doesn't match my own proclivities, but this bike is super cool. There's definitely a style of riding where that's the best tool; i hope enough people get to try it so it gets a fair shake.

·
Human Test Subject
1,430 Posts
It still looks better than asymmetric chainstays. If I were going to ride across the country on train track river rocks, this is what I would choose. Most of my gravel isnt chunky enough for this though.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The wife and I are already planning on buying 2 of these for our Christmas presents

·
Cycologist
10,342 Posts
Not really what I'm looking for. I like my bikes to be a lot different from each other and provide different riding experiences. All my bikes are steel though, except for my full suspension. And due to my location, my gravel bike (actually a cx) sees a lot of pavement along with some gravel and singletrack.

·
At Work
1,843 Posts
Interesting they chose the same name (MCR) as one of their old, steel hardtails.
Yeah, I have an MCR (Moondust). Great bike. But I shook my head when I saw this new MCR several months ago......... Personally, Niner has gone away from their roots completely. I still love my MCR......

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
I'm going with "meh". Not interesting at all. FS takes away from what a gravel bike should be. This is just my opinion. To me, it is a MTB w/dropbar.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I'm going with "meh". Not interesting at all. FS takes away from what a gravel bike should be. This is just my opinion. To me, it is a MTB w/dropbar.
Bikes are just like tools, pick the best tool for the job. For some people this would make a great gravel bike, it all depends where you ride it. I personally have no interest in it, but a gravel bike is whatever you need it to be. I for one am glad they are making it, more options are always good.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
Bikes are just like tools, pick the best tool for the job. For some people this would make a great gravel bike, it all depends where you ride it. I personally have no interest in it, but a gravel bike is whatever you need it to be. I for one am glad they are making it, more options are always good.
I get that, that was just my personal thoughts on this bike.

I agree, the more options the better.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I like it,i like it so much to the point that I'm going to buy a Giant Anthem,slap a drop bar on it and show my best middle finger to Niner's money.
I didn't see a price but I'm wondering how close a guy could come to replicating this bike with an Anthem? By the time you put together a carbon wheel set, bars and maybe a 105 drivetrain I think a used Anthem could rival this bike's performance at half the price.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A gravel bike to me is a road bike that is capable of fitting big tyres and having extensive mounting options so that it can do off-road stuff (including trails alongside mountain bikers), adventuring and even be transformed into a full city bike (I have seen people do this).

However this is not a road bike anymore as it saps all energy (on my mountain bike I fully lock the suspension for this reason except when I go downhill) and it probably weighs alot (regular gravel bikes already have a weigh penalty over a regular road bike, so this one will weight alot).

I’m sure there is a market for this thing, but I would not call this a gravel bike anymore. This is a mountain bike with dropbars according to me.

We all knew something like this was coming at some point :)

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Looks like it might compete with a MOOTS YBB gravel bike. The Moots has a little less travel at the rear axle, but is a lot less complicated with no pivots, linkage, or shock to maintain. For a long adventure, I'd prefer a simpler setup than what that Niner offers.
Interesting comparison. Although i'm totally on board with the philosophy (see signature), i think that full suspension with a shock and whatnot is a much more developed/mature technology than flex stays and 'shock as a frame member.' The niner might be more reliable and easier to service, weirdly.

It's pretty neat to have such different approaches to the problem.

·
slow
7,745 Posts
Interesting comparison. Although i'm totally on board with the philosophy (see signature), i think that full suspension with a shock and whatnot is a much more developed/mature technology than flex stays and 'shock as a frame member.' The niner might be more reliable and easier to service, weirdly.

It's pretty neat to have such different approaches to the problem.
It is good to have options.

For day long gravel rides and rides close to civilization, I'd probably lean toward the Niner. I was very happy with both of my Niner JET9s and had no problems with them. I like the way the Niner suspension rides. However, I have had pivot issues, linkage issues, and shock air can / seal issues on other FS bikes I've owned, and wouldn't want to encounter something like that on a multi-day bikepacking ride in the backcountry.

For multi-day trips or those farther from civilization where I need to be self sufficient, I'd lean toward the MOOTS. My 1997 YBB that I bought in 2004 has about 15,000 miles on it since I picked it up. The 2008 YBB I bought about 16 months ago has 2500 miles on it since I bought it. Neither has required any rear suspension maintenance aside from pulling the shaft and spring and lubing them once a year, which can be done trail side if one has some grease with them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.