Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!
So my wife picked out an accent color she wants with her charcoal colored Liv intrigue 29. Magenta. Looking to see what vendors make a solid inexpensive magenta, not purple colored hub. Looking at for maybe a 600 dollar wheel set (Hope-ish quality). Current wheelset is 2300grams, looking to save a pound or more. With improved engagement from the Deore hubs installed.
Liquid Pink Fluid Magenta Gas

· Registered
2022 Ibis Ripmo AF 2020 Intense Tazer MX Expert
323 Posts
Try Factor Hubs

· BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,876 Posts
Depends which Deore. Pretty sure the microspline versions are 36 POE anyway. If that's what you have, not sure you'll see a whole lot of benefit other than the color thing. Pretty sure that i9 in the pic is like a $400 hub. Someone needs to evaluate their expectations.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Depends which Deore. Pretty sure the microspline versions are 36 POE anyway. If that's what you have, not sure you'll see a whole lot of benefit other than the color thing. Pretty sure that i9 in the pic is like a $400 hub. Someone needs to evaluate their expectations.
Hope, for instance. Pretty reasonable. To get a 600 dollar wheelset with 100 dollar aluminum trail rims at Colorado cyclist. I9 was selected for the colorway.

· Registered
1,424 Posts
Hope, for instance. Pretty reasonable. To get a 600 dollar wheelset with 100 dollar aluminum trail rims at Colorado cyclist. I9 was selected for the colorway.
Hope Pro 4 and DT Swiss EX471 for $650 isn't a bad choice at all.

But you almost have to paint the hubs to get the color you want. The nice thing is if you take all the other pieces in at the same time (stem, seat clamp, whatever else) all the parts will match perfectly.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hope Pro 4 and DT Swiss EX471 for $650 isn't a bad choice at all.

But you almost have to paint the hubs to get the color you want. The nice thing is if you take all the other pieces in at the same time (stem, seat clamp, whatever else) all the parts will match perfectly.
It's looking like that's going to be me answer likely. I'm not seeing a whole ton in this particular color way in this specific price tier. Hope is magnificent bang for the buck, especially when a ratchet, etc. isn't needed for a light rider. KOM light might be a consideration also with 28h, maybe with a powedercoated XT and some butted spokes. Spoke nipples are easy to find in any color also!

· BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,876 Posts
It's looking like that's going to be me answer likely. I'm not seeing a whole ton in this particular color way in this specific price tier. Hope is magnificent bang for the buck, especially when a ratchet, etc. isn't needed for a light rider. KOM light might be a consideration also with 28h, maybe with a powedercoated XT and some butted spokes. Spoke nipples are easy to find in any color also!
I just went and played with Colorado Cyclist's custom wheel building tool. Looks like they've got a promo code "SUMMER" going on for what looks to be about 10% off, depending which config/manufacturer you go with (worked on a set of Pro 4 / EX471s, but I didn't test others). You can get under $600 easily enough or add lighter spokes, colored nips, etc and still be pretty close to budget if they have what you need in stock. Happy hunting! :)

It states hand built wheels are excluded, but the coupon applied to my cart. YMMV

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.