Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
jones'in
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using NG Topo for about a year for my mapping needs. Yesterday I bought a Magellan Explorist 600.

Anybody using this combo together? Can I load maps from NG Topo! onto the Explorist 600, or do I have to buy the MapSend stuff? I know that I can download routes, waypoints, etc from the Explorist into NG Topo...but I want NG's maps on the handheld...

Thanks,
--Ben

·
Registered
20 Posts
nope

Unfortunately I wanted to do the same thing but it can't be done - I found that mentioned somewhere on the NG site and somewhere else as well. You can load waypoints from NG topo but not their maps.

I am curious how the detail is on their digital topo maps. I have a paper map from NG of the Pisgah national forest in North Carolina and have wondered if all the trails on the paper map (there are a lot in Pisgah) are also mapped on the digital topos with NG topo?

Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the reply David. I am considering getting an Explorist 500 or 600 - any thoughts?? Also, I am considering getting the Magellan topo program. Have you used it at all? Curious about the trail detail for it as I was with NG.

·
Go Hokies!
85 Posts
No idea

I have no idea. I am just now looking into buying a GPS.

I bought NG Topo! hoping to plot my Pisgah rides, but without the trails on there it is difficult at best. My thought this year is to get a GPS and then download those on NG Topo! to show the ride. It is my understanding that NG Topo! has the best maps, but with each GPS you can only load its brand of maps. If you read the NG Topo! carefully it notes it cannot load onto GPS, but you can download GPS data to it.

If you come across a GPS that loads the NG Topo maps let me know, I would be very interested. The other thing I have found is that GPSs that have maps for navigating are larger than the ones that just have data (Garmin 60CSx vs. Garmin Edge 305).

Here is great review of GPS system that hold different types of maps
http://www.gpsreview.net/delorme-earthmate-gps-pn-20/

Good Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.