Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this topic has been beat to death, I just wanted to know which magazine has the most well rounded biking coverage (i.e.bike, mountain biking, bicycling, etc.)???

I ride mostly all mountain style but also enjoy reading about some urban and freeride stuff.
Is there a magazine out there that offers all of this without covering the cross country racing scene?

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Dirt Rag

jjcools said:
Forgive me if this topic has been beat to death, I just wanted to know which magazine has the most well rounded biking coverage (i.e.bike, mountain biking, bicycling, etc.)???

I ride mostly all mountain style but also enjoy reading about some urban and freeride stuff.
Is there a magazine out there that offers all of this without covering the cross country racing scene?
Dirt rag is fun http://www.dirtragmag.com/ and has some interesting content. But most USA bike magazines are just an excuse for advertisement ... almost completely useless :rolleyes:

·
Nothing here
757 Posts
Bike has great pictures, but not worth it alone for that.

MBA-Everytime I read one it feels like an advertisement for Specialized. Their buyers guide is a joke.

Bicycling is really focused on road biking. Also has lots of IMO useless crap on stuff I couldn't care less about i.e. townie bikes and stupid **** like that. I've been receiving this crappy magazine for years and I never paid for a single issue. They have to give it away. Geez, I wish they gave away toilet paper-it would be more useful.

Mountain bike is really thin on editorial content. Never really got into this mag.

Dirtrag is good It seems to go off on tangents a lot that are not necessarily related to biking. Always loved the pictures they have like the Riders eye. Cool swag. I feel a dirty hippie after reading one sometimes.

Honestly, I save my money on all those mags. All the lastest info you need is right here on MTBR. A lot of times you'll find out about stuff here before it goes to print on the stands. Plus opinions from all the users around here will keep things honest.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Decline

jjcools said:

Decline magazine leans heavily on the freeride, downhill, and urban end of things, check out their webpage at:
http://www.declinemagazine.com/

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
353 Posts
mags

Dirtrag, hmm, well, It's okay to pick it up at Barnes and Noble while I am waiting for my son to finish his 30 min guitar lesson. To buy it, subscribe to it naahhh!. The articles related to bicycles are alright, there are political opinions though that are outrageous and baseless hate. It's like magazine for the green party, Or I believe it is a magazine for mountain bikers published in D.C.
MBA, its okay, pics are great, pics of the trails are great. New stuff for bikes you can drool.
Just like any other used car sales man, it will tell you that you need this stuff for your bikes, just be skeptical though like a real scientist. If I feel that they are selling usefull stuff, before I plunged my hard earned $$$ to buy it I consult where else? MTBR...or our local biking group website. I can even compare prices, my most recent purchas is the Lake MTB winter shoes MXL 301. Not a bad review here, Jenson is selling it for $214, my LBS gave it to me much cheaper.

·
one more time
539 Posts
Decline gets my vote - not heavily biased and some of the articles are worth a read...

MBA winds me up... the fact that they insist on using the term 'black diamond' riding....

Let it go....

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm a relative newbee (1 yar) to real mountainbiking and I love MBA. I devour it as soon as it comes. I'm not some teenager either but old and grey. Sure they know where their bread is buttered, so watch out. Otherwise very enjoyable on how to climb, how to tune your bike, dealing with sand...I know its basic but it talks to my need.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I read every magazine I can get my hands on. No magazine is perfect, and none of them are worthless either.

The three I subscribe to are:

Dirt Rag
MBA
Bike

A lot of people really like Mountain Flyer as well. I have a copy, and it's a nice magazine, but most of it doesn't pertain to me since I'm on the East Coast.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I also read every single MTB mag. Dirt Rag as said is great -- a real MTB community magazine, though the recent obsession with 29ers is getting old. Dirt, the UK mag, has the best photos in any action magazine period, and covers the World Cup Downhill scene the best, but reads like a 3rd grader wrote and edited it. Bike conversely reads amazingly, as Mike Ferrentino has lead his team with the prose and eloquence of The New Yorker, and provides some great articles on local scenes and riding. Decline is a great all-around MTB magazine, definitely hooking up with the all-mountain scene and doing some fair coverage of the race scene as well. Their stand-alone buyer's guide should be great though is prone to errors. Mountain Bike Action has the most awful, dated design of any magazine available on newsstands period. They clearly just do not understand how people read media. That said I do not subscribe to the biases others claim they have, and find their reviews too numerous (and often very good) to ignore. Mountain Biking Magazine also has pretty dated graphics and approach, but does a decent job with reviews. Mountain Bike, the once-every-so-often Rodale supplement to Bicycling, is professional and often very good but published just too infrequent to highlight.

I haven't read Singletrack.

If I had to get just one magazine, eh, either Dirt Rag or Dirt depending on my mood. Or maybe Bike. Or Decline. Maybe I'll just keep getting them all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.