Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My group wants to the Mag 7 to Portal epic on this years trip. I was hoping for a little info on this trail. Can you set up a shuttle with Coyote or other Co? Can you route find easy or is a topo a gps needed? Can you do this ride in 6 hrs? And how do this ride compare to The Whole Enchilada physically? We might do Mag7 then Enchilada the next day.

·
Paste eater
3,722 Posts
Haven't done either in it's entirety yet. With that being said...

-Yes, you can certainly set up a shuttle.
- I would certainly bring a map. The latitude40 maps are great. The Gemini area is prety easy to navigate.
-Tough to say on time, though 6 hours seems pretty reasonable.
-There is a whole lot more climbing. Gemini is mostly down, but Goldbar and golden spike are not.

That's all I got.

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
It amazes me that no one has put together a COMPLETE report on this ride with videos and a GPS track. I would think by now there would be a nice marketing piece to show case this ride.

I think the problem is that there are so many sections that are deemed illegal, that the locals ride regularly, and they can't share the Intel with regular type riders because it upsets the land manager. So regular folks have to ride a lot of torn-up rubber coated sections to keep the land manager happy while others in the know get to do the special ride.

One day I believe everyone will get to ride everything the locals ride, but it isn't going to happen anytime soon.

G

·
Just to confirm and elaborate on some answers posted above -

Mag 7 is a popular shuttle option and any of the Moab shuttle companies will be able to take you there. You'll want to have your return logistics figured out when reserving the shuttle (ie what happens when you hit Potash rd).

The Mag 7 portion of the ride is well marked on the ground. Whether or not your map shows Mag 7 shouldn't be a problem. Gold Bar / Golden Spike can be a little confusing. It is marked OK on the ground and should be shown on any map you have. Just keep your attention across those sections. Navigating Portal shouldn't be an issue, assuming you get to the trailhead OK. There are also several threads in this (UT) forum with info, maps, and even video about Mag 7. I don't use GPS, but I'm sure there are plenty of places to find tracks online.

It is nearly impossible to estimate a time for this ride, It could be done in 6hrs. I think many riders (and especially those in a group) should plan for more time than that. At least regarding food and water.

To me, Mag 7 to the Portal seems tougher than the Whole Enchilada. Most would probably rate it near the top of a physical scale. Maybe more importantly, if you haven't ridden either ride, you should consider riding WE first. Doing that might make it tough to finish Mag 7 to Portal. My take is if you aren't sure if you can do both, get full enjoyment out of WE and be mentally prepared to cut the second day short if needed. People capable of riding both routes strongly shouldn't have an issue with the order of the rides.

I think you'll find some really good information about this (or at least confirm what you end up planning for) in person at a bike shop in Moab. These are two great routes. Have fun with your rides,

FW

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Just to confirm and elaborate on some answers posted above -

Mag 7 is a popular shuttle option and any of the Moab shuttle companies will be able to take you there. You'll want to have your return logistics figured out when reserving the shuttle (ie what happens when you hit Potash rd).

The Mag 7 portion of the ride is well marked on the ground. Whether or not your map shows Mag 7 shouldn't be a problem. Gold Bar / Golden Spike can be a little confusing. It is marked OK on the ground and should be shown on any map you have. Just keep your attention across those sections. Navigating Portal shouldn't be an issue, assuming you get to the trailhead OK. There are also several threads in this (UT) forum with info, maps, and even video about Mag 7. I don't use GPS, but I'm sure there are plenty of places to find tracks online.

It is nearly impossible to estimate a time for this ride, It could be done in 6hrs. I think many riders (and especially those in a group) should plan for more time than that. At least regarding food and water.

To me, Mag 7 to the Portal seems tougher than the Whole Enchilada. Most would probably rate it near the top of a physical scale. Maybe more importantly, if you haven't ridden either ride, you should consider riding WE first. Doing that might make it tough to finish Mag 7 to Portal. My take is if you aren't sure if you can do both, get full enjoyment out of WE and be mentally prepared to cut the second day short if needed. People capable of riding both routes strongly shouldn't have an issue with the order of the rides.

I think you'll find some really good information about this (or at least confirm what you end up planning for) in person at a bike shop in Moab. These are two great routes. Have fun with your rides,

FW
frejwilk is spot on, the whole Mag 7 is a harder ride than the WE due to it's more uphill component. It also is routed on a lot more slickrock than the WE so it's pretty much an all weather trail that can be ridden several hours after most any rain event. I would not recommend either trail during a lengthy rainy period due to lightening.

If you were fortunate enough to do the local's route across the rim there are numerous little drops and climb sections that make the ride experience extra special. The climb up the Blue Dot section is totally rideable by a higher skilled rider, but more than likely there will be some short sections a first time higher skilled rider might not clean the first time through.

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Here you go. Check it out.
ph:

I have looked at that site before and it points out that there are sections that use to be and for now are only ridden by the locals. I think the Big Horn sheep who use to hang out on the Blue Dot went over to the Hover Dam area where they use to watch the traffic jam of cars trying to get through the old check station there before they put in the new bridge.

TD

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
If you were fortunate enough to do the local's route across the rim
It doesn't really take any secret handshake or local knowledge to ride the blue dot portion along the rim because it is well marked (In fact the entrance to it is even better marked than before with big red spray painted warnings telling folks the section is closed due to sheep wanderings), you just need to be willing to risk a ticket.

I did both Mag 7 to town and TWE on consecutive days a couple of weeks ago and they are both tough physically. Not sure if my tiredness on TWE was affected by the fact that I'd done Mag 7 to PS to town the day before but it probably was.

It's definitely doable and advisable for a decently strong rider though. Both are terrific rides.

Here's a trip report from my week at I-bike and Southern Utah.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We are going to maybe try and split up the rides with a rest day with a smaller ride in between M7 and WE. Unless Burro is closed and we can only get as high up as Hazard. We are going the last week in Oct so there is a 50/50 chance that we cant get all the way up to Burro.

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Here's my Mag 7 ride report along with printable map

Magnificent 7 Moab

Gemini Bridges Deluxe!
In looking at your map I am not able to get enough detail to ascertain where your high point is on the Blue Dot Singletrack. I have drawn from memory what I think the original Blue Dot alignment was, it computes out to 2.96 miles in length from the starting point until you get to the rim.

TD

Attachments

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,265 Posts
Here's my Cyclemeter stats (and google map) from when I rode the Mag 7 trail during Outerbike...

Finished Mountain Bike: Oct 7, 2011 3:10:29 PM
Route: Moab Magnificent 7
Google Maps URL: Cyclemeter-MountainCycle-20111007-1504.kml - Google Maps
Shortened Google Maps URL: Cyclemeter-MountainCycle-20111007-1504.kml - Google Maps
Ride Time: 1:44:54
Stopped Time: 20:05
Distance: 15.85 miles
Average: 9.06 mph
Fastest Speed: 22.64 mph
Ascent: 462 feet
Calories: 767

Cyclemeter 6.0 - the most advanced iPhone application for cycling | Abvio

·
Paste eater
3,722 Posts
Here's my Cyclemeter stats (and google map) from when I rode the Mag 7 trail during Outerbike...

Finished Mountain Bike: Oct 7, 2011 3:10:29 PM
Route: Moab Magnificent 7
Google Maps URL: Cyclemeter-MountainCycle-20111007-1504.kml - Google Maps
Shortened Google Maps URL: Cyclemeter-MountainCycle-20111007-1504.kml - Google Maps
Ride Time: 1:44:54
Stopped Time: 20:05
Distance: 15.85 miles
Average: 9.06 mph
Fastest Speed: 22.64 mph
Ascent: 462 feet
Calories: 767

Cyclemeter 6.0 - the most advanced iPhone application for cycling | Abvio
Ya missed 1/2 of it. No really...The second 1/2 goes up Goldbar/Golden spike and then down the Portal instead of cruising out Gemini rd. :)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We just did it today. Intially we were going to come down gemeni but we decided to man up and come down portal. Golden spike was a butt kicker with a lot of hab. I'm sure some immortals could ride that. Portal was really washed out also. Route finding was difficult to find the cut off to portal. We used gps topos and Google earth to find our way. Not really just a ride. More of an all day adventure. Not sure I'd do the portal route again but we are glad we did it at least once. Thanks for all you help guys.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am hoping someone out there who is more technically advanced can help me. I am heading to Moab next weekend and I am planning on having my wife drop me off at the Bull run TH and then picking me up at the Poison Spider TH maybe 3 hours later or so. I am very old school as far as technology goes so I don't have a fancy gps that I can plug tracks into, but I do have a very simple etrex which you can plug waypoints into. I have a habit of getting lost of solo rides in moab for some reason so I am thinking that if I have coordinates of key intersections this would decrease my changes of sleeping outside that night. If anyone out there as this information that I could plug into my etrex that would be awesome.

Thanks

·
Paste eater
3,722 Posts
I am hoping someone out there who is more technically advanced can help me. I am heading to Moab next weekend and I am planning on having my wife drop me off at the Bull run TH and then picking me up at the Poison Spider TH maybe 3 hours later or so. I am very old school as far as technology goes so I don't have a fancy gps that I can plug tracks into, but I do have a very simple etrex which you can plug waypoints into. I have a habit of getting lost of solo rides in moab for some reason so I am thinking that if I have coordinates of key intersections this would decrease my changes of sleeping outside that night. If anyone out there as this information that I could plug into my etrex that would be awesome.

Thanks
Shoot me a message when you get here. May be out of town next weekend tho. That being said, you may want to change that 3 hours to 6. I killed close to 6 hours the other weekend doing the 1/2 Mag7>Gemini>Brand trails>Bike Path 2 Moab>Home.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks, I will do that. I am currently getting some rough coordinates off of google earth which may help in the event I get lost. I go to Moab a couple of times a year so I kind of know that area, I have ridden the Gold Bar jeep road, haven't done the single track for years, and I have done the Little Canyon rim ride so I am somewhat familiar with that neck of the woods.

From what I have read the ride itself is like 20 miles or so assuming you get someone to drop you off and pick you up, so I figure when I am solo with the ipod I can usually crank out 8-10 mph on most of the moab trails assuming no major mechincals.

IM me and I will give you my cell as I don't have a phone with internet so once I leave home I am unplugged from the WWW.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.