Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I HAVE A FEW OLDER MAG's SITTING AROUND AND WOULD LIKE TO COMBINE THE PARTS TO MAKE ONE GOOD FORK. ONE IS A 1994 MAG 21 (EASTON STANTIONS) VERY GOOD CONDITION NEEDS AIR CAPS. A 1996 SPECIALIZED FUTURE SHOCK MINT LOW HOURS AND OIL IS STILL CLEAR. THIRD IS A 1994 FSX CARBON LEG/ULTIMATE CROWN WITH BLOWN SEAL & PLAY IN THE BUSHINGS. SINCE THE ALLOY STANTIONS ARE NOT SO STIFF AND THE 21 HAS A BONTY CROWN I'LL FIND SOME CAPS. CAN I PULL THE STANTIONS OUT OF THE F/S AND BUILD THE FSX? THE FSX WILL NEED NEW BUSHINGS BUT WILL THE STANTIONS SLIDE IN WITH NO PROBLEMS? I DON'T THINK THE CARB FORK WAS EVER OFFERED WITH THE ALLOY STANTIONS AND WOULD MAKE A 2+ LBS. FORK. THAT WOULD BE ONE IDEA TO KICK AROUND. ANY IDEAS OR ADVICE WOULD BE WELCOME.

-JJY

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,734 Posts
Aren't all the FSX stantions aluminum?

The 2 FSX forks I owned both had aluminum stantions. The FSX actually wasnt much lighter than the stock Mag 21. I think the carbon was more for looks. The Mag 21 SL Ti was easily lighter.

I dont think you will have any problems swapping parts between the forks you have mentioned. I think the SL Ti was the only Mag 21 fork that had unique bushings and seals.

·
acoustic motorbike
168 Posts
I don't think the Mag21 and FSX are internally swappable, though. The Mags were air/oil and the FSX is a Judy shock, based on an air cartridge and elastomer springs. I am pretty sure these are not compatible parts between the two forks. Now if you are talking swapping out legs between crowns, I think that would be a pretty cool swap and a great fork in the end, if everything fits. I would love to put my Mag21 parts onto a Judy SL steerer tube. 1" stuff is getting harder and harder to find these days.

doug

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,734 Posts
There were 2 versions

There was a Mag21 based FSX and a Judy based FSX. I guess I just assumed he had the earlier version.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts