Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to snag a nice giant or trek at a bro deal but I've no clue as to the suspension comparison. Anything a weekend warrior would notice or hate? Specifically I'm looking at a trance 27.5 or remedy 27.5.

For background I'm on a racerX which I believe uses the Horst link suspension. It serves me well and I probably haven't pushed it beyond its limits but I'm itching to move on from 100mm and 26"

For terrain I have to climb to get to anything pointed downhill so it'd be cool if that sucked less. Otherwise lots of fireroads here. Maybe a weekend a year to a ski resort for a couple days of lifted rides. One bike handles all these duties btw.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Maestro is considered by many the benchmark suspension. Having said that there are tons of really good systems. For a weekend warrior both should serve you well, I would look at other factors like reports on durability, rear axle options, availability of parts and service, etc.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I had a Trek Fuel EX with a 130mm travel and now I ride a 170mm Giant Reign SX. Eventhough it is not a fair comparison especially since I have a coil back I think that the Trek pedalled slightly better. Going downhill however the Reign is fantastic.

One thing to consider is that Trek uses proprietary rear shocks that come in proprietary sizes so if you want to change them it will be a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
I always suggest demo riding BEFORE you spend thousands of dollars fit and geometry trump suspension design. If all else was equal & based on this statement : "For terrain I have to climb to get to anything pointed downhill so it'd be cool if that sucked less. Otherwise lots of fire roads here" I'd lean toward Maestro. I have a 2010 Trek Remedy and it really needs Propedal to minimize pedal bob.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. Sounds like giants the way to go here

One thing to consider as well is a straight money comparison. I could get a Bronson for similar cost but it would compromise on the build kit. But it does bring vpp into the mix if that's a deciding factor at all.

·
kneecap
1,639 Posts
I have an older 26" trance, although I did the offset bushing & 1/4" longer shock on it, & it descends noticeably better than my intense carbine with a fox CTD shock.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Almost all available suspension systems on the market for mid and unobtanium mtbs have really good suspension systems. You almost can't go wrong.

That said, all good suspension systems will differ in personality. Link length, geometry, engineering and intended purpose will make them all act differently. Not better than another, but different.

Go out and ride a few and see what fits. Beyond that, most people have to rely on reviews and manufacture statements as parking lot test dont do chit for the buyer :)

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
Almost all available suspension systems on the market for mid and unobtanium mtbs have really good suspension systems. You almost can't go wrong.
Oh no, there is still plenty of rubbish being sold. There are also designs which are tweaked to do certain things well at the expense of others.

Suspension designs which were below average 20 years ago are still below average and still being sold. There is that much (correctly or incorrectly) licensed IP floating around that most companies can't use good designs or even the designs they used to use for fear of litigation.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Owning both, the Maestro pedals better.

The APB descends better.
Just to make things more confusing, the BikeMag review of the 2014 Trance said they'd changed the position of the virtual pivot point so it descends better but doesn't pedal was well (compared to the Trance X_.

The Remedy 8 has a Fox 34, only the Trance SX gets a 34 (all the others have 32s) so that would be an important factor if it was my money.

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Have BOTH - and the ABP with the right rear shock, is a real game-changer...

·
J:
5,128 Posts
Reserve the money and have the shock tuned

ABP and lots of others that have a higher main pivot can take the edge off square edge hits/ sharp impacts at speed.

That same high pivot means that when you're headed up the chunk in steep climbing gear, the chain is pulling down on the suspension below the pivot (similar to lockout) and this can cause it to get hung up/ skip on rocks or feedback through the pedals

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
ABP and lots of others that have a higher main pivot can take the edge off square edge hits/ sharp impacts at speed.

That same high pivot means that when you're headed up the chunk in steep climbing gear, the chain is pulling down on the suspension below the pivot (similar to lockout) and this can cause it to get hung up/ skip on rocks or feedback through the pedals
Not sure if you are inferring the Remedy has more antisquat than the Trance.I haven't checked in this case but usually the Maestro has much more anti squat than the ABP bikes.
I know for sure the Trance has the most antisquat of recent maestro bikes, even their xc offerings. They are back to a level as previously found on their 26" Anthem and TX models.

·
J:
5,128 Posts
Just saying to know when and how much the drivetrain will interfere with the suspension travel, especially if you already know what rings are being used

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Just saying to know when and how much the drivetrain will interfere with the suspension travel, especially if you already know what rings are being used
I agree . I have reversed the trend on most of my bikes. I used to run a single ring on everything for years now I'm back to two. I'd rather have optimum suspension for climbing and descending rather than a 3/4 lb weight saving with a compromise.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts