Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was all set to order a BD Phantom 29er and even spoke with a LBS that was going to set it up and maintain it for me but today I heard a radio ad for Hudson's Trail Outfitters warehouse store closeout sale. I decided to stop by there since it was on the way to work to see what they had that would be comparable. They had two 29er's and decided on this one: https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?ItemID=13826&Type=bike.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/bbawcombe/DSC03188.jpg[/IMG]"]Photobucket

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/bbawcombe/DSC03191.jpg[/IMG]"]Photobucket

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/bbawcombe/DSC03192.jpg[/IMG]"]Photobucket

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/bbawcombe/DSC03193.jpg[/IMG]"]Photobucket

It was marked down to $800 and they were offering 20% off the sale price so I got it for $640. I couldn't pass this up as the components seem better than the Phantom and the bike was essentially only $45 more. The selling point for me was the free unlimited tune ups/adjustments and there are two of their other stores on my way to work. Yes it is a leftover 2008 but I figure for a first mountain bike that isn't an issue. My budget kept creeping up as I read the forum and received feedback from my posts on the site. I should have stopped researching a few weeks ago and I probably could have saved money...initially as least.

Let me know what you think...good deal...bad deal?

Looking forward to getting out and riding in the Frederick, MD area this Spring!

Thnx - 2Hip

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thnx for the feedback. The bike does fit and that was one of the other benefits to buying local instead of online. I thought I needed a 19" bike but since this is a 29er the 17" fit me just right. Makes since as by BD sizing guide I would have ordered a 17" if I purchased the Phantom.

Took it for a ride last night but it was dark and very cold (32 degrees) so it was a short ride but it felt good and they did another quick tune-up and adjusted the seat height before leaving the store. I'll post up some pics shortly.

The other nice thing about buying from Hudson is they have customer reward points so I get $30 to go back to get my other gear. I did swap out the clip-less for toe clips for now as they did not have any shoes that would fit me and I figured the toe clips give me a chance to ride with normal shoes and the benefit of being clipped in. I'll be going clip-less at some point.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sanename said:
hey 2hip,
which hudsontrail did you go to?
i am from the dc area and after reading your post went to the one in fairfax and dint see any interesting deals or 20% off.

lemme know.
The Gaithersburg, MD store but unfortunately it's not 20% off anymore...it's now 25%!!:thumbsup:

Should have waited a week and I would have saved another $40.

Don't go buying anything that I need to go back to get.;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sanename said:
cool.............
Gaithersburg is goin to a long ride but if i can save some green it wud be worth it.
hoping to get an entry level MTB for 400-450 might go there over the weekend.
Not sure what size you're looking for but they definitely had a nice selection of bikes in that price range. Call the store and ask for Manny so he can give you info on what is in stock for your size and price range. When I was there they had a Felt 29er for the same price as my bike that I really liked but it was a 15.5" frame which was too small for me. That bike would be $600 with the new discount and would be my recommendation as the components were really nice especially for that price.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i am looking for a 16-17". i am 5.7" and weigh 160pounds. i am not sure if i should go for the 29er because of my height and also being a newbie at mtb plus 600 is on the higher end of my budget :(

i called them and a guy called steve was there he gave me the option for a giant boulder, fuji nevada and gary fischer marlin. will go and check them out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm thinking you can get any of those bikes in your price range. Keep in mind it will probably be a leftover '08 or '09 but you shouldn't be too concerned about that. I'm a beginner too and was worried that a 29er would be for advanced riders but the feedback I received here is that it shouldn't be a problem. I started with a budget of $350 went to $500 and then when I found my bike and compared the components the extra $100 was worth the expense.

BTW - I commute to Arlington from Frederick everyday for work so I would think for you to get from DC area to Gaithersburg would only be about 30 minutes and well worth it compared to the money you will save.

Let us know what you get and post some pics.

·
Registered
9 Posts
yeah even i started with a budget $300 then liked a fuji nevada for $450 and will be goin to hudsons on weekend to see my options.

wow thats a commute and like i said if i can save some green then it is worth it. I work at balston. we shud get tgether for lunch and hit some trails tgether ;)

will let u guys know and post pics once i get it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.