Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just made a huge mistake by buying a schiwn bike from target for 229.00 it has a full suspension altus rear and v brakes.....and did i mention it was heavy!!!

I thought it would do, but i tried it riding on trails and it just doesn't cut it, now im interested into buying a new bike any suggestions...im 5'8 190 pounds and want somthing under 500
thanks

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
there's no $500 FS bike

out there that works. I think you know that now, though.

Consider a hardtail, any major brand name will work for you. giant, TREK, specialized, Cdale, Kona, etc etc etc.

Jim

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
agreed

emoneyrags said:
Hello, I just made a huge mistake by buying a schiwn bike from target for 229.00 it has a full suspension altus rear and v brakes.....and did i mention it was heavy!!!

I thought it would do, but i tried it riding on trails and it just doesn't cut it, now im interested into buying a new bike any suggestions...im 5'8 190 pounds and want somthing under 500
thanks
For that price point, you're looking at a hardtail or a good used bike. Evil thing Dorel is doing putting crap Schwinns in retail stores to confuse or "trick" the buyer into thinking it'll be as good as their bike shop Schwinns. Unfortunately, you get what you pay for - sometimes less.

can you return the bike? Whatever happens, good luck - hope it all works out.

REEK

G

·
if you can round up 750 ill sell you my trek fuel :) xtr, xt, RS duke, sub 26 lbs, raced at nationals. sponsors require new bike...

but anywho... for under 500 you wont find a new fs that works, you may find something used but you will have to look hard.

I would say go for a hardtail, like a specialized hardrock or something similar. I haven't been in the market for a sub $2k bike in a while, but my first bike was a hardrock and i loved that thing to death.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There is a Jamis hardtail for around 500 and for 550 you can get a Specialized rardrock comp with disc brakes. Those were 2 I was considering but am getting the hardrock pro instead for 700. Hope that helps some

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ebay

Patience and searching on ebay brought me a $600 FS--Gt Idrive 1.0, 2004. The only problem is sizing, so you have to be pretty comfortable about sizing before traipsing around ebay. Get a buddy who knows more if you're hesitant, and enlist the help of your LBS. They know a good deal when they see one and won't fault you for not spending the money with them on a lesser bike. At least that's what I did...

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I agree that for $500 you need to forget about FS and think Hard Tail.

You really haven't provided alot of information in regards to the type of riding you're looking to do, so it's hard to get specific.

With that said, in the $500 range I think Marin (www.marinbikes.com) offers pretty good value in terms of entry level components. I'm a fan of steel frames, any their BEAR VALLEY steel HT seems like a decent value at $650 retail (you can likely find a 2004 model for less) with Shimano Deore components and a Marzocchi Comp fork. If you want more travel, look at some of their Alloy options.

Susan

·
Registered
56 Posts
Or check out www.craigslist.org --- I got a nice used (the chick road it twice before heading off to school and didn't want to take the bike w/ her) Fisher, Tassajara 2003 for 300$... That was a rare find esp since I am pretty short -ironically, she was the same height (and even an adopted asian like myself...I digress)...

Also, check out campuses if you are near to any university - school is letting out soon and you may find something good since most of the kids are busy packing up and unloading any unecessary stuffs.

blk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is this a good trail bike???

Giant Iguana
Mens Small
24 Speed

Here's the specs
Manitou Front Shox
Titec Handle Bars
Titec Stem
Avid 2.0 speed dial
Gary Fisher Barends
Shimano XT V-Brakes
Trek Saddle Bag
Fox water bottles w/cages
Ritchey Clipless Pedals (spd)
Lizard Skins
Shimano Rapid Fire Shifters
shimano deore rear derailuer
shimano alivio front deraileur
Flat Pedals

·
Registered
192 Posts
That's a much better bike than the other. What you have there is a starter. A good bike that will allow you to grow affordably. You have to make sure it's you size though. Too small and you'll always feel cramped, too tall and it will feel like the bike is going to come out from under you. If you can get this bike for a fair price, jump on it. I'm sure you will be able to grow with it. Never start too good, reason one: you'll probably end up damaging things you can't replace, and two: you'll never trully appreciate your skills until you've shown progress, and you rarely get better by not trying things that put your self and bike at risk. Start small, grow wisely, then upgrade.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rampage said:
That's a much better bike than the other. What you have there is a starter. A good bike that will allow you to grow affordably. You have to make sure it's you size though. Too small and you'll always feel cramped, too tall and it will feel like the bike is going to come out from under you. If you can get this bike for a fair price, jump on it. I'm sure you will be able to grow with it. Never start too good, reason one: you'll probably end up damaging things you can't replace, and two: you'll never trully appreciate your skills until you've shown progress, and you rarely get better by not trying things that put your self and bike at risk. Start small, grow wisely, then upgrade.
Is 300 a good price?

·
Registered
478 Posts
See If you can take it back....they took mine back couple yrs ago when I first started after ruining the wheels.....Check Out diamondback they have some of the best specced out bikes for the money...The Topenga Comp is a More than capable trail bike for a nice price...hope I helped

·
Registered
287 Posts
I totally agree with Rampgae. Never buy a bike that you cant use to its full potential at the moment. The beauty of bikes are they are upgradeable. Shocks everything. So all you really need for the time being is a very good beefy frame. Thats it, so the frame will hold up. As your riding becomes more intense parts start to be replace. And that is when you know you are no longer a beginner, but more of an advanced rider. Trying new things, and needing those new parts to do those new things.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently started riding, I bought a Trek 4300 for $329. Seems to be a good entry level bike. I can tell you that I wrecked pretty hard and bent the front rim and had to replace that. Other than that, it's been a good beginner trail bike for me. My buddy bought the 4500 model for $469 and he really likes it too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i love my iguana... @ 5'8" and wanting to do some xc with it you probably need the 17 or 19" (im 6'1" and ive got a 19 but i like it somewhat compact) Iguana is a great rig and quite the looker if you ask me :) Plus i get to tell people i have a 19 inch giant iguana (get it..)

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
Wah said:
Target is ususally really good about returns... I don't know about a used bike though. Maybe the bike was "broken"? ;)
90 day return policy...just tell them it doesn't feel right...very unstable and unsafe

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.