Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Candlestick Maker
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And now, for something that is definitely not an off the shelf option. My Rohloff'd Redline. I've had this frame for years, but am loving this latest incarnation for gravel riding. A low maintenance, robust, grab-n-go bike that can do a bit of everything...

Redline Rohloff by Brad Baker, on Flickr

Rohloff held in place by Surly Tuggnut by Brad Baker, on Flickr

Carbon fork with Son dynohub and Spyke disc brake by Brad Baker, on Flickr

Crest rim, 700x45 Riddler tire by Brad Baker, on Flickr

Exposure Revo dyno light by Brad Baker, on Flickr

Koga Denham bars by Brad Baker, on Flickr

Rohloff twist shifter, Wolftooth Fat Paw grip and 32g brake lever by Brad Baker, on Flickr

Spyke brakes Rohloff gearbox by Brad Baker, on Flickr

Awesome strap with tube, levers, patch kit by Brad Baker, on Flickr

More carrying options w/ the pump, co2 cartridges, pump head, and multi-tool (in the cage box) by Brad Baker, on Flickr

·
Candlestick Maker
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I see you are Rohloff owner. I've lusted after a Rohloff for years (decades?) and finally pulled the trigger. The shifting does take some getting used to (no shifting under load), but after 300 miles, it has become more natural.

Running 38x16, I find the gear range to be sufficient for the mountainous riding around here in Colorado. The low end is good enough for climbing the really steep grades, while the top end is good enough for maintaining ~24mph on slightly downhill dirt trails.

I did originally find the noise from certain gears would get on my nerves and make me worry about the "efficiency" losses. I've gotten used to it over the past couple months. And (maybe?) the hub has broken in a bit...

·
Candlestick Maker
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Baker, very nice bike. Did you laced rohloff wheel yourself? Are wheels tubeless?
Thanks. I replaced the Redline frame with a Surly ECR and have been riding that for a while now. It's a nice (heavy) setup. Pic attached from today's fully loaded test ride.

And, yes, I laced the wheel myself and the rim is tubeless. I'd never buy or build another wheel that is tubed...

Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Crankset

·
Registered
3 Posts
I like surly, I've a disc trucker 26 where I'd like a rohloff also. About this can I ask you somethknf? Dt swiss fr560 is stated for max 1200N rim tension without tire, rohloff for what I know says 1300N, how did you solved? Maybe beacuse of tubeless, so with lower tire pressure the final effective tension is equivalent about 1000N or just a little bit less I think) to that of a tube tire wheel inflated at greater pressure? Thank you.

·
Candlestick Maker
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like surly, I've a disc trucker 26 where I'd like a rohloff also. About this can I ask you somethknf? Dt swiss fr560 is stated for max 1200N rim tension without tire, rohloff for what I know says 1300N, how did you solved? Maybe beacuse of tubeless, so with lower tire pressure the final effective tension is equivalent about 1000N or just a little bit less I think) to that of a tube tire wheel inflated at greater pressure? Thank you.
no idea on tension...I'm not that analytical (despite having built loads and loads of wheels over the years). I use a tensionometer to provide relatively equal tension (generally each spoke within 5% of the spokes on the same side), but the final tension is what feels right to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.