Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
rare shot, but I figured I would just see if anyone here had any experience with the Macneil Polyurethane "Push fit" bb cups/bearings? They hit right around the time when the Spanish BB just came onto the scene, but faded quickly after... so probably some rare parts, but I'm just curious about them...
Anyway, they are meant for a Spanish BB shell but use a "cup" made out of polyurethane that houses a slightly smaller diameter euro bb bearing. Sounds a bit redundant, as most people wanted to get away from using cups... but, these had quite a few advantages (at least on paper). First, the polyurethane cup was meant to take the edge off of large impacts and landings but still remain stiff, I'm sure they were by no means squishy. But by absorbing this little bit of shock, it also supposedly helped lengthen the life of the bearing by so much as well. On top of that, they were easier to install... And! best of all, I think they were THE lightest bottom bracket outside of xc and road... I forgot numbers, but lighter than euro, spanish, mid, or american. (these are not accounting for which spindle is used.)

So, if anyone here has used, installed, or even just remember it, let's hear what you thought. Oh, and if anyone here still has one they don't want, I'd probably take it off your hands (assuming poly isn't all cracked). ;)

well, I'm sure it had it's flaws somewhere... they stopped making it anyway. but still interesting no doubt. Look at the Fly Euro-to-Spanish converter, phased out Quick in the bmx world, but I think the demand in the now crossover bigwheel market could be pretty substantial.

·
Registered
646 Posts
so i did a little more research on the bottom bracket idea seemed good looks like its still out there also

specs
MacNeil's polyurethane BB Kit fits Press-Fit (aka Spanish) bottom brackets. Weighing in at 0.097 lbs (44g), [about 1/4 the weight of a normal BB kit] the bearings are suspended in the hard plastic cups, reducing stress on the bearing, while still feeling as stiff as other bottom brackets.

Polyurethane cups? Yeah, we were interested to hear more about them, too, so Jay recruited MacNeil's product manager, Darcy Saccucci, to answer a few questions for us.

What is the advantage of the Polyurethane cups?

They're a lot easier to put in and take out. And because there's 3mm of polyurethane around the smaller bearings it's not only lighter, they also give a little suspension so you don't break your bearings.

How long have you been testing these and how have the results been?

I've been running them for about two years trying out different sets and trying to find the perfect one. Right now Jay, Alistair Whitton, and Corey Martinez are all trying them out and I haven't heard any negative feedback.

When will these be available and what's their compatibility with the frames and cranks that are on the market now?

They'll be available in February. They'll work with any bike that has a Spanish bottom bracket, but they use a normal Euro bearing, which is much easier to find than the Spanish bearings if you ever need to replace them.

Sponsors: MacNeil, Orchid Footwear, and Oakley.

courtesy of www.bmxonline

for sale here
http://www.rchobbiesandmore.com/product.php?productid=16193

http://www.albes.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1514

http://www.winstanleysbmx.com/index.html?ejha1bIh362X4jmUe3DhirkQ5ENNRHfKrPVTv/FQq0Q=

and thats all i found

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I had a pair of the softer green version and later a pair of the harder black cups .
They were nice and took away from most of the pedal induced vibration but the bearings sucked and the cups were really soft so they ended up shifing and deforming in the frame . When I removed them after about 3 weeks of minimal rideing they totally fell apart . Regular spanish cups work jsut fine !

·
Registered
232 Posts
Years ago I had a BB that had plastic cups - maybe it was Tioga?

It was kinda cool and it was easier to press into the US BB that was common back then. The only thing is one side's lip was very bugger'ed up from removal.

If US BB's were more common it would be a neat technology to try out for it. But like Brad said Spanish (and Mid) BB technology works very well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.