Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since a lot of people are talking about getting their Mach 6's dialed in, I thought I would start a thread about shock settings and what is working or not working. After spending an hour reading through too many pages on the Pike thread, I am still figuring out if I need 2 tokens or no tokens for a heavier rider. Just got my bike built and it would be great to compare PSI and settings for the Float X and the Pike (or Fox I guess). I realize it comes down to personal preference, but maybe some general numbers might help people get started as a baseline.

Anyone around 6' and 225 pounds care to share what settings they have?

·
Registered
493 Posts
In the same size as you. Pike. No tokens. 85 lbs pressure. 7 clicks of rebound ( starting at fully turned in clockwise and turning out 7 clicks counter clockwise), 4 clicks of compression (starting from full counter clockwise and turning 4 clicks clockwise).

225 lbs of pressure in fox shock. 6 clicks of rebound ( starting fully turned in clockwise and turning out 6 clicks counter clockwise).

I'm not saying these are magic numbers, but they are
A good place to start.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I will be the guinea pig here. 6' 225#. Probably same type of terrain you have Vik. Pacific NW riding, lots of ups and downs. Some good flow trails, but I like steep and technical too. The stuff at Squamish is similar to what I like to ride. Not a huge hucker, but don't have a problem with 3-5 foot drops and smaller jumps. Like speed.

Here is my build:

Large Mach 6
XX1 full build
Pike 160
Shimano XT brakes
Derby Rims/Hope Hubs
Neomoto 2.3's
Specialized Blacklite IR Dropper
RF SIXC 785 carbon bars
RF Atlas 50mm stem
Canfield Crampon Pedals

Not an expert on suspension stuff. I usually make a setting or two and never change it. Probably why I am asking for pointers! Coming from 2 Specialized Enduros, I liked my suspension firmer most likely because the bike was wallowy if that is a word. A bit mushy when pedaling, so I would run less sag. I was running 275 psi on that poor RP23.

Would be more than happy to get used to more sag since this seems to be such an efficient bike. BTW, I did the old neighborhood test ride last night on the street and sidewalks. So far, this thing is ridiculous how light, snappy, and quick it is. Effortless to get in the air and throw around.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
I am 200 lb geared weight, 185 out of the shower. My settings are:

Pike 55 PSI, 1 token, 4 clicks from wide open on rebound 2 clicks on slow speed (I think this is a useless setting)

Float X 155 PSI 4 clicks from wide open on rebound

For you bigger guys 2 tokens should work well. The idea of the tokens is you can keep the low speed sensitivity with increased mid stroke and bottom out resistance.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I wonder why the RS site says no tokens for 200+ riders.

Pike 55 PSI, 1 token, 4 clicks from wide open on rebound 2 clicks on slow speed (I think this is a useless setting)

For you bigger guys 2 tokens should work well. The idea of the tokens is you can keep the low speed sensitivity with increased mid stroke and bottom out resistance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I built my own Mach 6(XT/FOX Float 34 160) and In my fast gears im getting a lot of chain slap and have even lost my chain on the inside a few times. This is my first build, after i sized the chain i brought it in to a Pivot dealer to check it and i cant go any tighter on the chain. Had to return a chain guide because it wasnt compatible(See My Thread). I know it comes with the XTR clutch rear derailleur, Have an XT non-clutch derailleur. Would that make that much of a difference?

http://forums.mtbr.com/27-5-650b/pivot-mach-6-chain-guide-compatibility-issues-904540.html

·
Registered
23 Posts
My derailleur doesn't have a clutch system i have an XT not an XTR.

Here is my setup:

L Pivot Mach 6 Carbon Stealth
Fox float 34 160mm fork
Fox float X CTD 155mm rear shock
Pivot carbon 740mm handlebars
Full Shimano XT 2x10 Drivetrain
Shimano XT Ice Tech brakes
Shimano Ice Tech rotors 180F/160R
WTB Frequency i23 wheelset SRAM x9 hubs
Rockshox Reverb Stealth 125mm seat post
Pivot grips
Race Face Atlas 50mm stem
Pivot headset
Kenda Nevegal 2.35 tires
Time Atac XC Carbon Pedals

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So much for good tuning. Took it out for its mayden voyage yesterday. Good ride. Worked on it this morning getting ready for another ride and was going to change the shock psi front and back. Started looking at the Pike and the left top seal completely popped off, so it won't hold any air. Any easy way to get that back in? Tried lightly trying to push it down with a screwdriver, but was afraid to do damage to the seal and the sanction. Damn, so much for my ride this morning. Any ideas for a quick fix would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, I think it might be something worse. There was no air in there and the seal was a few inches up the sanction. I am wondering if the air cartridge burst or something. I just put some more air in to see if it will hold and so far it is, but the fact that seal is off and there was no air in there after 1 ride, it makes me think there is something else wrong. Looks like I will need to pull it off and take it in. I really hope I don't have to get this thing warrantied and be out for a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts

Wow, that's not a lot of air in the rear shock. I'm about your weight and am running 200. That puts me just a touch under suggested sag, but I find I'm bottoming it out on drops >3' otherwise.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
My setup: 6'2", 190lbs without gear, XL M6, Pike/Float X.

I split my ride time between trails with rough high-speed descending, and riding "flow" lines at our local terrain park (Duthie Hill near Seattle.) I leave PSI constant but use different rebound for these two applications. Faster rebound settings give a nice supple feel on faster descents, while slowing it down keeps the bike from bucking or pogoing me off when taking off/landing gap jumps or drops in the park.

Pike: 55 PSI, 6 clicks out from full slow in the park, 10 clicks out on the trails. I leave low-speed compression at 5 clicks out from full slow.

Float X: 200 PSI (puts me a touch under recommended sag, but keeps bottom-out under control on bigger drops). Rebound: 7 out from full slow in the park, 12 out on the trails.

With the Float X, the rebound adjust is a real pain in the ass, and the clicks are not positive enough to easily count. I put a little dot of nail polish at -7 and -12 (different colors) so I can easily tell where it's set without having to re-count clicks.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Drewbird, I will have to look for you at Duthie. GR is in my backyard and ride over at Duthie quite a bit. Just had my mayden voyage on this great weekend up here. Unfortunately, my Pike is blown out after just one ride, so hopefully will be back on the trail soon.

Just dialed in my suspension the other day and you are right on that rebound dial on the Fox. At one point, I thought I broke the dial trying to adjusting it. I am sure there had to be a better way to design that.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You can pull the the fork apart and then use PVC pipe to seat it. You will have to re-up the oil though. Weird that it came apart like that. Something isn't right.
Just to confirm, the fork isn't holding air. I would bet the leak pushed the seal out. I pumped it up to 75 psi a few times today and within an hour or two, there was no air in the fork. What a buzzkill for a Pike to fail after one ride. Especially after waiting months to get my new build finished.

Wasn't even riding it that hard, just getting a feel for it and trying to get my suspension dialed in.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.