Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 6'2" with a 79cm saddle height, and trying to decide if the XL or the L would fit me better.

In terms of reach, the XL might work better if I wanted to run a 50mm stem. Problem is, the XL has a hella long head tube. King Kong long. When you add the A-C of a 150mm pike + the HT, it seems like I'd maybe only just be able to get the saddle even with the bars. If I wanted to run a 160 pike, I don't think I could.

So I was hoping to see what guys in this range are running--did you go for L or XL? What does your setup look like, and what is your saddle to bar drop?

·
Registered
862 Posts
XL is still too small for someone 6'2". Don't kid yourself, great bike but available sizes do not work for anyone over 6' wanting to run a short stem.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Not sure how you could say that. I rode both at 6'1 and opted for the L. Still lots of room with the XL. I would think an XL with a short stem would be perfectly fine.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
XL is still too small for someone 6'2". Don't kid yourself, great bike but available sizes do not work for anyone over 6' wanting to run a short stem.
Yeah that's wrong. I'm 6'2.5" and loving the sh!t out of my XL with a 70mm stem. For someone my height, I consider that to be a pretty short stem.

To the OP: I'm just about your size, and running almost dead-on your saddle height. I demo'd a L, and found it definitely too small. Ended up getting an XL, which I freakin' love. The HT is long on paper, but I find it to work just fine. See photo of my setup; that's a 150mm Pike, 70mm zero-rise stem, running a headset upper that adds about 1cm, a 1cm spacer under stem, and Havoc riser bars. My grips are still 1-2" below my saddle. If you're worried, a down-flipped stem, no spacers, and a flat bar (I have an ENVE Sweep on my other ride, which is great) would drop your grips another couple inches.

Re: the "king kong" HT, I actually think it's appropriate for this size. Before the M6, I had a BronsonC. It has a shorter HT in the XL, 4.7" vs. 5.9" for the M6. My girlfriend is 5'3", and her Mojo has a 3.8" HT. Her saddle is a good 6" lower than mine, but on the Bronson her HT was only an inch shorter. I know taller riders fit bikes differently, but I ended up running 1.5" of spacers, plus an up-angled stem on the Bronson. On the M6 I can get the bars just where I want 'em without a ton of spacers.

IMG_1485.jpg

·
Registered
14,379 Posts
I'm 5'11" with 33" pant's inseam. I bought a L due to the tight and twisty trails where I live, but I could ride a XL no problem. If I was over 6' I would only look at a XL.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts