Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I sent a PM to the OP requesting a response, he has been active in other threads. Im curious why they wouldn't want to follow up with details, it would have taken considerable effort to get the weight that low. It must be a single speed set up for xc....

·
Paterfamilias
787 Posts
Maybe the OP was just commenting that he has a Mach 6 that is ready to ride, and the photo is the scale that he just fixed up, and he is happy that it now works.

Just a thought, since there isn't a photo of the bike, just the scale...

·
Freezer
606 Posts
Whatever... even if there is a Mach 6 this light it's going to suck at descending. I should know- I built a 21 lb. Mach 429SL and it climbed great but it may as well have been a gravel bike descending. Sort of pointless, especially for a Mach 6.

·
Paterfamilias
787 Posts
Whatever... even if there is a Mach 6 this light it's going to suck at descending. I should know- I built a 21 lb. Mach 429SL and it climbed great but it may as well have been a gravel bike descending. Sort of pointless, especially for a Mach 6.
Not sure I 100% agree with your logic that a lighter bike is going to suck at descending.

I took a Mach 4 SL out for a night ride a couple weeks ago, and I was 10 seconds off my fastest time down a steeper technical descent. The Mach 4 SL is about 7 LBS lighter than my Switchblade was.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,157 Posts
Not sure I 100% agree with your logic that a lighter bike is going to suck at descending.

I took a Mach 4 SL out for a night ride a couple weeks ago, and I was 10 seconds off my fastest time down a steeper technical descent. The Mach 4 SL is about 7 LBS lighter than my Switchblade was.
It's going to suck for descending relative to it's rear-travel class. It takes a hell of a nasty descent for my 6" travel am/enduro bike to be faster at downhill, but when I ride something like that, the 170mm travel yarilanch keeps up and gives me the control to smash into massive root complexes/balls, the 780 bars give me the leverage to keep my front wheel straight, the 8" front brake gives me the ability to go faster in the straight and then check my speed (slow down) faster to keep traction on a turn, the minion/HR2 combo lets me keep traction on the off-camber roots and short-radius turns at speed, the i30 rims give me good support from my tire-size that I chose for speed, durability and traction, the dropper-post lets me get my weight down for control, and so on.

24.5lbs is the weight of my 429SL with i25 rims, 2.35 tires, dropper, Fox 34sc and everything else set as weight-weenie parts for racing. I have other wheels and fork I use to optimize it for shorter/less abusive races, but I'd rather be on that 429SL at 24.5lbs with relatively beefy/strong stuff rather than a Mach 6 built like a toothpick.

It could be done to build a mach 6 that light, probably Pike, my 290g "flyweight" XC race rims, DT 180 rear hub, 1x11 and X01/XX1 cassette, Next SL cranks, skinny schmoke carbon bar, CB legeaters, Ai2 rotors (which suck on any extended DH), skinny lightweight XC race tires at ~600g or less each, no dropper post, XC race shock like a DPS, one of those solid carbon saddles, etc. I just wouldn't want to ride it because it would be less capable downhill than my 429SL by the time I got the weight the same due to tire/rim, controls and braking restrictions. And then your suspension would be significantly less efficient pedaling on flat and uphill due to 6" of travel in the rear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.