Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Freezer
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting a 27.5" playbike that's jumpy, poppy and easy to throw around and have fun with. I have a Firebird 29 (Gen 1) for going fast and big chunk, so not looking to duplicate that functionality. What I am looking for is a nimble ride for non-lift served bike parks, flow trails, and jump trails without a lot of gnar. Anybody with experience on the new Mach 6 care to comment on whether it would fit my use case? FWIW, I'd size slightly down to a Medium for my 5'-10" height. Thanks!

·
Registered
246 Posts
i’m 5’10.5” and i’ve ridden larges on all my bikes. i sized down to a medium on my mach 6 and love it. it’s sort of a heavy duty trail bike that helps keep me riding the bike rather than me feeling like a passenger. i wouldn’t want it any bigger for how i like to ride and it doesnt feel like a huge bike while pedaling. it’s very capable as well. most of what i ride on it is steep chunk mixed with some flow but it is not out of its element on the lower grade trails, which is due in part to sizing down IMO. my other bike is a size large revel ranger and the mach 6 maybe gives up 5-10% efficiency on the climbs due to the smaller wheels and heavier tires

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Test ridden the new Mach 6, and it seems that it's an enduro bike. It can do the flowy stuff, has good pedaling support and can be poppy but it's meant for bigger chunky stuff. I have the previous Mach 6 and while I use it for the type of trails you describe but it's also meant for bigger stuff.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I would consider the Mach 6 more as big mountain bike then nimble and playful.
For your needs, you should look at short travel bikes like SC 5010, Transition Scout or maybe used SC Bronson v3 if you want a bit more travel.

·
Registered
246 Posts
as someone who has owned/ridden a lot of bikes and currently own a mach 6, the size medium particularly feels like a fun flickable play bike. higher than normal bb, 27.5 wheels, lightweight, NOT a super slack HTA, and short wheelbase make up for more of the bikes characteristics than travel numbers would suggest.

·
Freezer
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the perspectives guys. The geo on the Mach 6 is nearly identical to my Firebird 29, just a little shorter wheelbase and higher bb with 27.5 wheels. There are no demos around Norcal to ride, so I'll have to guess if it feels materially different from the FB29 due to the small wheels. I've also considered the Transition Scout, which has similar geo to the Mach6 but a degree slacker, lower bb and a cm longer wheelbase. I assume the slacker front end and longer wheelbase would make it a bit less flickable, but luckily there's a bike shop with one and I have it lined up for a demo next week.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Thinking about getting a 27.5" playbike that's jumpy, poppy and easy to throw around and have fun with. I have a Firebird 29 (Gen 1) for going fast and big chunk, so not looking to duplicate that functionality. What I am looking for is a nimble ride for non-lift served bike parks, flow trails, and jump trails without a lot of gnar. Anybody with experience on the new Mach 6 care to comment on whether it would fit my use case? FWIW, I'd size slightly down to a Medium for my 5'-10" height. Thanks!
Yeah def size down if looking for playful. I'm 5'7 and went small. Glad I did cause the medium felt gigantic.

I've been riding mostly park, so can't really say how good or bad it is at climbing. Most enduro bikes nowadays are fairly decent climbers, and especially with the DW link suspension, on the few climbs I've done, it did surprisingly well.

Been to Killington, Thunder and Mountain Creek in the past couple months. It's handled everything I've thrown at it, from drops to jumps, steep tech, flow trails and everything in between.
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

·
Registered
943 Posts
I would consider the Mach 6 more as big mountain bike then nimble and playful.
For your needs, you should look at short travel bikes like SC 5010, Transition Scout or maybe used SC Bronson v3 if you want a bit more travel.
I kinda disagree with this, especially if sizing down ... The "big mountain bike," which I'm not really sure what you mean by that, but I'm guessing that's the speed and chunk OP was talking about.

That's what his Firebird is for though, and the Mach 6 is described by Pivot as nimble and playful. Having ridden a ton of flow/jump trails in the last couple months (Gronk at Thunder, Jump Start and Blue Magic at Killington, etc) those are two words I'd definitely use to describe it.

That said, my Mach 6 is my only FS so I need it to be that do-it-all bike. I also ride my 100mm hardtail on my local trails, but to your point, if I did have a Firebird, I'm not sure I'd get the Mach 6. OP knows what he's looking to ride better than us obviously, but I'd probably go less enduro and more long travel trail, just to mix it up a bit ... I'd look at the Switchblade instead, or like you said, the Bronson.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I kinda disagree with this, especially if sizing down ... The "big mountain bike," which I'm not really sure what you mean by that, but I'm guessing that's the speed and chunk OP was talking about.

That's what his Firebird is for though, and the Mach 6 is described by Pivot as nimble and playful. Having ridden a ton of flow/jump trails in the last couple months (Gronk at Thunder, Jump Start and Blue Magic at Killington, etc) those are two words I'd definitely use to describe it.

That said, my Mach 6 is my only FS so I need it to be that do-it-all bike. I also ride my 100mm hardtail on my local trails, but to your point, if I did have a Firebird, I'm not sure I'd get the Mach 6. OP knows what he's looking to ride better than us obviously, but I'd probably go less enduro and more long travel trail, just to mix it up a bit ... I'd look at the Switchblade instead, or like you said, the Bronson.
Your bike looks really nice!

Based on Pivot sizing, you're in between sizes, and in your case, since its your do-it-all FS bike, you got S size for extra playfulness, but if i was you, i would go with M size...

The Mach 6 sits in Pivot site under the Enduro category for a reason, its basically 27.5" enduro bike but its not a race bike like their Firebird, or as i call it big mountain (or freeride) bike, "a bike that is at home everywhere from the sculpted hits of park riding to the burly chunk of the untamed backcountry" (from Pivot description), and since the OP already having Firebird, i would choose different 27.5" bike that is more playful.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Your bike looks really nice!

Based on Pivot sizing, you're in between sizes, and in your case, since its your do-it-all FS bike, you got S size for extra playfulness, but if i was you, i would go with M size...

The Mach 6 sits in Pivot site under the Enduro category for a reason, its basically 27.5" enduro bike but its not a race bike like their Firebird, or as i call it big mountain (or freeride) bike, "a bike that is at home everywhere from the sculpted hits of park riding to the burly chunk of the untamed backcountry" (from Pivot description), and since the OP already having Firebird, i would choose different 27.5" bike that is more playful.
Thanks!! Reread your original, and I get what you're saying now that I get the "freeride" point. I actually contradicted myself and was agreeing with your overall point about not choosing the Mach 6 given his Firebird. Playful is one of those terms they're all using right now and it could be interpreted so many different ways, but yeah, I'd go for something with a little less travel, or at least something different. Maybe an MX like the new Bronson you mentioned, or one of these high pivot bikes that are so common nowadays.

And if it's non-lift assisted bike parks, then yeah, even more of a reason.

Thx again for the kind words!

·
Freezer
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Freezer
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Demo'd and ordered the M6! While the dimensions and geometry on the M6 are nearly identical to the previous generation FB29, the small wheels make a huge difference in feel, and that's exactly what I'm looking for. Now just waiting for stock to come in! :oops:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.