Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else experiencing a clunking noise from your mach 6 collet? I've disassembled it, re-greased the bejesus out of it, and applied loctite to the threads. It's really more annoying than anything. However, I'm wondering if others have experienced it and found a solution. Thanks.

·
BarBanger
409 Posts
Mine started doing a similar thing after only 2 rides. It turned out to be dirt in the rear shock mount. I got so fed up that I disassembled it mid-ride a couple weeks ago, cleaned off all the dirt and left as much grease as I could. The noise hasn't come back.

398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's definitely the clevis. I wrapped it in Teflon tape, but not he kind shown in the video above. I used the kind you can buy at Home Depot for pipe threads. I think it's much thinner, so I wrapped it a bunch of times. It worked for about 3-4 days, but the sound has now returned. I have to figure out where to get the thicker stuff used in the bikeco video.

·
Cynical Chump
92 Posts
I had that creak in my Mach 6 from day one. Did not have time to get it taken care of before a trip; ended up taking it in to Poison Spider Bicycles in Moab. One of the mechanics there, Russ I think his name was, was familiar with it and fixed it in 10 minutes. His explanation is that the clevis pins sometimes have a little bit of extra material (flash, I would call it) in the area where the clevis and the shock eye mate. I assume he de-burred it in some way, then regreased and reassembled. It's been like buttah since then.

·
Registered
15,103 Posts
I tried the Stan's tape. The noise has started to slowly come back.

The info below is from Pivot:

Hey Pivot - any solutions to this shock to yoke creak problem for your customers?
We actually changed the recommended torque setting on the clevis bolt from 15Nm up to 24Nm.
Thanks. That was found to mitigate the creaking of the shock to yoke interface or was it changed for another reason?
Yeah, we found that even with the torque at 15Nm the shock to clevis interface wasn't tight enough. We experimented with higher settings and found 24Nm to be a good point.
I tried tightening the shock bolt. So we'll see what happens.

I didn't take the Stan's out so if I need to I'll take it out and clean the works then re-tighten to 24Nm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.