Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I passed the shifter cable through once, and had to take it out. Now I can't get it back through after trying repeatedly.

Is there a secret to this?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I recently watched a video where a bike mechanic used a vacuum cleaner to suck a lightweight thread through the bike frame. He sealed off most frame openings with tape, and attached the thread to the cable he wanted to pull through.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Undo the front shock mount and get in there with a small allen key and remove the plastic internal cable guide, then just fish it out.

Much easier than poking and prodding for ages trying to get the cable through that small hole.

·
bad reputation
463 Posts
Undo the front shock mount and get in there with a small allen key and remove the plastic internal cable guide, then just fish it out.

Much easier than poking and prodding for ages trying to get the cable through that small hole.
Agreed!!! A 2mm allen for the cover. Yes it's a pain, but worth it in the long run!

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
Yeah, your odds of hitting that tiny hole with the cable are astronomical. I pull the cover and use an old spoke bent into a "J" for a hook. The vacuum idea wouldn't really work on this frame as there's no internal tubing for the shift cables (you'd still need to remove the cover plate).

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This removeable cover isn't shown in the instruction manual. Dang, I would not have known if you boys hadn't mentioned it. Unless I somehow missed it.

That little cover was a hassle to remove in that tight space between the shock mounts. Then still fishing through the hole was frustrating.

That really was a miracle that the cable went through the hole on my first attempt. What are the odds of that happening? But of course, trying to repeat that success? 0

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm tempted to buy some stick on cable guides and run my cables externally.
That thought went through my head too. This fun time was when I was trying to set up the adjustable post. And the KS is very tricky to set up too. I had to remove the shock to get the tools in there, then reinstall the shock. Compress the suspension sag with me sitting on it to get the post length correct, only to find the KS post kept being unlocked by the internal cable. Great. Then had to pull the cable out after all that hassle. That was not fun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts