Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am purchasing a Mach 5 frame and will be installing components I already own on the frame. My questions are:
1. I've heard the bottom bracket is wider. Will a standard XTR M970 Crankset work in the frame?
2. Is the headset capable of accepting a Chris King No Thread headset??
3. Does the frame include the front derailleur?

·
Not just famous; infamous
1,069 Posts
My questions are:

1. I've heard the bottom bracket is wider. Will a standard XTR M970 Crankset work in the frame?
Yes. External BB-type cranksets from Shimano, RaceFace or FSA will fit. TruVativs will not.

2. Is the headset capable of accepting a Chris King No Thread headset??
Nope. No way. No how. Unfortunately, IMHO, you can only use a Zerostack headset. Cane Creek (and I believe FSA) make Zerostacks.

3. Does the frame include the front derailleur?
No. You'll need to buy an E-type front derailleur. AFAIK, Shimano is the only company that makes E-types. The derailleur mounting screws are included.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Where did you get your frame? I cant see to find any e-tailers that have them in stock right now. And for some reason I thought the front derailleur was included with the frame. Could be wrong though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
lynd said:
Where did you get your frame? I cant see to find any e-tailers that have them in stock right now. And for some reason I thought the front derailleur was included with the frame. Could be wrong though.
You might want to call The Path in Tustin, CA (714-669-0784) . I think they've got some Mach 5's in stock, and Tani (the owner) hook you up with a great deal.

·
Registered
52 Posts
lynd said:
The BB bearings are included on all framesets. However an available "framekit" option is available through dealers. The framekit comes frame, respective fork per model, headset and XT front der.
The front der. is not proprietary, it's an Etype shimano front der. with the mounting cage removed.

No e-tailers have them because Pivot has a one online dealer exclusive with Speedgoat.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I have an XT E-type front der. and have never gotten the chainline 100%. the chain rubs on the inner protrusion of the der. my friends with XTR FD's have no such issues.

In truth, I built it so the hack mechanic might be to blame.

if you have any tips on getting it right I would live to hear it. (XT cranks, only 2 rings)

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
-dustin said:
Is it rubbing in the stand or when you're on the bike?
I can tell it's rubbing a bit in the stand. more so when I'm on it. I do not think its a change in chain line with suspension or a flex thing. its simply a miss alignment thing due to the extra inward bump (shift asist) on the XT vs. XTR front der. I can set it to run on the low end or high end (in terms of gears). I even tried to dremel the der. away ablt but it really didn't help.

I've gotten used to it. I just limit my gear chioce and use my shifter to trim the cage out board more when I need to turn a high gear on a road.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
Hey Brian, which side is it rubbing on (inner or outer?)

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
kenbentit said:
Hey Brian, which side is it rubbing on (inner or outer?)
Both. it depends on how the DR is set up. I can move it to make it rub either side. but the outer side of the XT cage when in the Middle ring and 7-9 in the rear is the most offensive. but easist to deal with.

I have Sram shifters. ~2003 thumbs.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
Maybe I can look at it and see what's going on. The spacing should be fine with XT or XTR, don't think the shifters would cause any problems...

·
Registered
139 Posts
brianc said:
but the outer side of the XT cage when in the Middle ring and 7-9 in the rear is the most offensive.
That seems like a cable tension issue. Then again, with 2 rings and a SRAM trigger....

How much tension is on the cable when you're in the inner ring? There should be none. It should rather slack, actually.

How do you have your low limit set on the FD; you've got the low limit screw dialed pretty far down, right?

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
-dustin said:
That seems like a cable tension issue. Then again, with 2 rings and a SRAM trigger....

How much tension is on the cable when you're in the inner ring? There should be none. It should rather slack, actually.

How do you have your low limit set on the FD; you've got the low limit screw dialed pretty far down, right?
I'll have to look at it. I'm certain (as stated above) this it probibly 85% mechanic (me) error. I actually have the indexing of the shift such that granny is "2" and middle is "3". I've and set the limits accodringly. b/c, in my hands I could not get it to drop low enough for grannie while still getting out board enough for middle-9. with the middle set up in "3" I can trim the der. outboard even more so that the rub stops.

Having only seen mach 5's with XTR front der. I was more curious to prove it was just me that could set it up or a more common issue.

(thanks for the offer Ken. we'll have to hook up or some riding soon. FYI I a thr-sun MTB stay-cation set up for next week in intrested)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts