Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
j.k.livin
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's it going everyone! First thread so feel free to share away...I have been pondering for the last 2 months about building a new FS for myself. I have been doing some research on Pivot and after getting the opportunity to demo a Mach 5.7 from the great guys at SMC, I came to the conclusion it was the bike for me.

I really wanted to build the carbon, but after the demo ride, I realized I didn't want to wait. I know for a lot of people I read on here they're not to keen on the graphics..I happen to love them, just wish the pivots were red and not blue. So anyways..here are the specs. I wanted to build it light because I love to go fast.

M Mach 5.7 alum black w/fox Kashima coat and red headset
New Factory Fox 150mm Talas Kasima coat
SRAM XO group
Formula R1 brakes, rotors, carbon levers
Easton EA90 XC Wheelset w/Kenda Nevegal tires
Easton XC90 handlebar
Thomson X4 stem 100mm
Thomson Masterpiece post
WTB Pivot seat
Red Troy lee ODI Grips
Pedals (undecided)

Let me know what you all think. Any advice on areas to make it lighter for the future. It should be ready this Friday/Saturday. I'll post pics! Lastly, just curious about everyone's take on the carbon..would have it been worth the weight..lol

·
PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
4,324 Posts
Is the pivot seat TI? If not a WTB rocket V ti will drop some weight and still be plenty cushy. Can't wait to see pics of the final build:thumbsup:

·
Bloodied but Unbowed
1,498 Posts
The Mach 5.7 is the only bike I have ridden since purchasing my Mount Vision where I thought "this would have been a great choice too". Should be a great ride.

As much as I like the Ti WTB seats (have a couple of them), the Selle Italia classic Ti seat is pretty light and quite comfortable too. Not sure who has these locally as I have never seen one on the shelf in the Valley, but they can be ordered on the web for about $100.

·
j.k.livin
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! Love the video lol. Yeah I can't wait to ride this bike..

What do you think about a drop seat post?

·
PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
4,324 Posts
What do you think about a drop seat post?
After years of not buying one...I have to say one of the best investments I have made. I own a KS950 and have had zero issues. knockin on wood now.

·
Registered
7,826 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I couldn't bring myself to ride a carbon frame in the desert with all these rocks. One good crash and I'd be worried the frame was damaged. I guess it depends a lot on the type of riding you do though, but since you chose the 5.7 instead of an XC bike, I assume you'll be riding some chunky stuff.

·
Bloodied but Unbowed
1,498 Posts
After years of not buying one...I have to say one of the best investments I have made. I own a KS950 and have had zero issues. knockin on wood now.
Easily the best investment in a long while.

·
Huffy Rider
1,401 Posts
I'm sorry, but without pictures this thread is kind of lame. Nice bike tho, kind of jealous. Should have waited for the carbon!

·
Nothing can stop me now
1,045 Posts
I couldn't bring myself to ride a carbon frame in the desert with all these rocks. One good crash and I'd be worried the frame was damaged. I guess it depends a lot on the type of riding you do though, but since you chose the 5.7 instead of an XC bike, I assume you'll be riding some chunky stuff.
I think you should add a yet to your first sentence. I think we will all be riding carbon someday... And wonder why it took so long.

Bob

·
lifer
52 Posts
I have formula R1 brakes like the feel HATE the squeal!!! I'd go hope for brakes. nice build put some pics up when done. Ride On VikeAz

·
j.k.livin
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So...I called SMC because the wait on the bike and pics have been because of the Talas fork that was pre-ordered..apparently with Interbike this last week that's what's been the hold up. I agree with you bobo, I would of liked the carbon too..to be honest for as long as I've had to wait I could of just waited until oct to get it. So the bike according to those guys will be finished by Tues next week...so we'll have to see.

Thought about the hope breaks..as mater of fact, original plan was to get the carbon green 5.7, do the green hope limited edition, and build green chris king wheels, with the new XT 2x10 black group, etc...oh well lol!

What is everyones thoughts on carbon wheels...I'm not a fan but I know people are buying them..I personally enjoy my zip404's for the road..

·
Nothing can stop me now
1,045 Posts
So...I called SMC because the wait on the bike and pics have been because of the Talas fork that was pre-ordered..apparently with Interbike this last week that's what's been the hold up. I agree with you bobo, I would of liked the carbon too..to be honest for as long as I've had to wait I could of just waited until oct to get it. So the bike according to those guys will be finished by Tues next week...so we'll have to see.

Thought about the hope breaks..as mater of fact, original plan was to get the carbon green 5.7, do the green hope limited edition, and build green chris king wheels, with the new XT 2x10 black group, etc...oh well lol!

What is everyones thoughts on carbon wheels...I'm not a fan but I know people are buying them..I personally enjoy my zip404's for the road..
So I take it that you are in the 'tuke too? Carbon wheels? I think that you are going to regret not waiting for the Carbon 5.7 if you are asking about carbon wheels... I hope I am wrong. I like the buzz of the I-9 on flows (they came with the bike I would have chosen Kings).

I love the Hope brakes. The levers feel really good and the work really well. A bit blingy though.

It is a bummer that you are having to wait so long for a build. That is the problem with this time of the year. The upside is that at there are lots of deals to be had if you are not tempted by the latest and greatest.

Bobo

1 - 20 of 23 Posts