Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Gents,

How active is the Pivot dwlink on climbs? Specifically the M5.7 Is it fully active on climbs, or is it design to stiffen up like a hard tail to let you stand & hammer? (I'm hoping for fully active, but I want to hear from Pivot owners.)

I keep reading how well the Pivots climb and how efficient the dw-link is with it's anti-squat properties. However, I've been mtb'ing for about 12 years now, and believe a fully active rear suspension is really key to successful climbing in rough rooty, rocky terrain b/c the rear wheel must be able to absorb the bumps to gain good traction, or you'll just spin and have have to dab.

I've currently got a Maverick Durance which climbs very well up my rooty rocky local trails, with fully active 6" travel in the rear. Sure, it can squish a bit if I'm jumping on the pedals on a long climb, but I've learned to just sit & spin, which works best on my rough terrain. The reason I'm thinking of switching to the 5.7 is that I'm getting too much rear triangle flex when I'm pushing it aggressively in the corners (which I'm convinced will be much improved on any Pivot). That, and the HTA is a hair too steep for some of the rollers, etc that bind the fork a bit.

Prior to that I had a 2006 Spec Enduro (which I still frequently run as my backup bike). It's 6" of squish make for great climbing, but it's 34 lbs feels like an anchor next to my 26.5 lbs Durance.

Please let me know your thoughts - particularly those who have run both fully active squish bikes & the DWlink Pivots. Thanks!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hi MonkeyC. I tried searching for just about the exact same info that you are asking about. Except that I came from a ML8 and now ride a Firebird. However, I demoed both the FB and the 5.7. Both are much, much more capable bikes than the ML8 or the Durance. The suspension is active when climbing. We are in Colorado (rocky terrain) and the active suspension helps a lot with climbing. After riding my FB my wife sold her Durance and got a 5.7. She is faster on both the climbs and downhills than on her Maverick. I'm the same. The Pivots are stiffer than the Mavericks, but more importantly they are also more efficient than the Maverick. After the first big, steep climb I rode on a Pivot, I was sold on it. The first downhill I rode I noticed immediately how the suspension was more active and soaked up the bumps way better.

The best advice I can pass along is to actually ride one.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm riding a 5.7 and the rear suspension is active enough on the climbs. Meaning, I never have to touch the propedal level on the shock and the traction is spot on. Just point the front end where you want to go, find your place on the saddle and pedal. It is truly a "set and forget" kind of suspension. There is no flexing in the rear triangle either. I have ridden hardtails that flexed under my 250 # body. Not the Mach 5.7. The more I ride this bike, the more I enjoy it.
BTW, I ride rocky and rooty type of single track trails with short and quick climbs and fast, tight and twisty downhills. I hope this helps. Good luck with your selection.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts