Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying a 429 carbon sight unseen. Nobody around me sells them. Problem is I have a goofy duck footed peddling style that causes me to rub my heel on the seatstay of my salsa horsethief which is pretty wide.

If someone here has a 429 carbon and a tape measure handy (I keep both tools and my bikes in my living room) , could you me a huge favor and measure 7 inches up the seatstay from the center of the rear through axle. From that point, measure across from the top of the outside of one seatstay to the outside of the other. This is about where I rub. On my horsethief, this is about 6.5 inches.

I really really appreciate the help.

·
Long Live the Gorn!
336 Posts
Ok I'll Bite
I have a Medium 429C

7.5" up the seatstay from rear axle, outside stay to outside stay I measure 5 7/8" - 6".. very close to 6"...definitely not 6.5"
7.5" up the chainstay from rear axle, outside stay to outside stay I measure almost exactly 5" (They are curved in)

This assuming I followed your instruction correct

429C is an amazing bike! I couldn't be happier with the ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh my wife won't be pleased. This was my last hang up about purchasing the carbon version. Thanks so much bvader!

·
Long Live the Gorn!
336 Posts
Your Welcome, what package are you looking to get?
Also IMHO make sure you get the 2014 Fox Shock and Fork as the internals / valving are a significant upgrade over the 2013.

Shoot I just realized you said 7 inches up, I measured 7.5 inches up.. at 7.0" it will be a little wider, I can check again / remeasure in the AM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a pretty standard x01 build but with XT brakes. Standard fox 32 120mm fork. Easton haven carbon bars. I have some hope / arch ex wheels laying around that I'll be re-using. Nothing fancy. I'll be picking up a ks lev as well just for kicks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Since you haven't ridden one, I think you are in for a treat, when you head out for your 1st ride. Really fast, efficient, and fun. Great all rounder.

Just put fresh rubber on mine ( purgatory rear / butcher front ) for a upcoming trip to Moab. Stoked to see how the 429c does on some of the rugged desert classics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've ridden the aluminum, so I know pretty well what to expect. The reason I want the carbon is to do exactly what you're doing - put some big meats on to get rowdy on occasion. I hope to keep a couple wheel / tires sets handy. One for the fast group ride/race hammer fests and one for rocky trail riding. That's the plan anyway. I'm stoked to see how it works out.

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
3,284 Posts
My friend and me experience rub on the chain and seat stays. It doesn't detract from the riding experience. I put some frame protectors over the rub areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts