Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Newer to forums, but been riding bikes for a long time. Currently on a 2009 Yeti ASR and also enjoying a Single Speed Specialized Carve.

I found a decent deal on a used Mach 429 Trail and after 10 years of not having a new bicycle, I am in the market. I was going to pull the trigger on it but then noticed the Trail 429 is out. Am I not doing myself a favor here by saving $2000 and getting a 2018 used model when this all new bike is out? I have read endless reviews and posts but I just can't make up my mind if I should go this route or save up another year and get something brand spanking new. Is there a lot to be missed by going with the old geo and setup? I am on a ASR right now and it is a hell of a lot of fun and quick. But I am starting to get older and have branched out to some rougher trails that my 100mm fork and XC oriented bike is just not capable of comfortably riding.

My eyes are currently on several models but most of them require another few months of savings. Current candidates are: Santa Cruz 5010 and Tallboy 3 (Did a 5010 demo and liked it but I did feel the 27.5 wasn't as much fun as the 29er wheels), Yeti SB 130 (only parking lot) and now the used Pivot Mach 429 Trail due to its excellent price.

Any kind of input from long term users and people that have made the switch to the Trail 429 from the Mach are welcome and would really help me with this rather expensive purchase! Thank you!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have the previous 429 trail and have ridden the new model-----I could not find riding santa cruz trail a reason to buy the new bike-----yes it has new geo etc but did not sway me---an issue with the older bike is fit----the large is not that large and the xl is huge so make sure it fits. Old bike has pretty slack seat tube and a short reach.
I find the old bike a great climber and has snappy handling----the new bike for sure feels bigger and would descend tech better. So if you ride tight terrain the old bike works great but wide open high speed trails the new bike.
The old bike has been totally solid---not an issue after 3 years.

I suspect the old bike from what I have seen is worth 2K max-----people ask all sorts or crazy prices but those are not sell prices. Note I paid $4400 new for a 2016.

Your post conflicts me a bit----if you are seriously looking at a Yeti then price must not be your primary element here--or the asking price of the 429 is way too high.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the previous 429 trail and have ridden the new model-----I could not find riding santa cruz trail a reason to buy the new bike-----yes it has new geo etc but did not sway me---an issue with the older bike is fit----the large is not that large and the xl is huge so make sure it fits. Old bike has pretty slack seat tube and a short reach.
I find the old bike a great climber and has snappy handling----the new bike for sure feels bigger and would descend tech better. So if you ride tight terrain the old bike works great but wide open high speed trails the new bike.
The old bike has been totally solid---not an issue after 3 years.

I suspect the old bike from what I have seen is worth 2K max-----people ask all sorts or crazy prices but those are not sell prices. Note I paid $4400 new for a 2016.

Your post conflicts me a bit----if you are seriously looking at a Yeti then price must not be your primary element here--or the asking price of the 429 is way too high.
Thank you for your reply!
I am 6'2" 33 inseam and looking at the XL Mach 429. It is running about $3k for the XT/SLX (obviously no warranty but your comment about "totally solid" is a plus!)

Price IS actually a huge factor. The reason I put the Yeti SB130 on my short list is because I have already been in savings mode for a year now towards a new bike, so I figured whats another 6 to 8 months. The Pivot I could pull the trigger on, the other bikes, if new, would not be purchased until spring 2020. Sure is an expensive hobby.

You say "the large is not that large and the xl is huge so make sure it fits." Sadly I have zero chance to demo one of these so I have to go by what owners are saying. Looking at the geo of the bike, it seems it should be a pretty solid fit for me but it does suck to look at such an expensive purchase on the internet without seeing it in person first.

Again, thank you for your reply. I doubt my trails here in Alabama require more suspension then what this offers. Mostly tight single tracks. It does get very rocky and rooty on some trails and a few downhills with rocks that my XC bike just can't handle safely without falling on my face. I tested a Kona 153 on one particular trail that I use my XC bike on and it was a TANK going over everything. That got me intrigued into looking into a more trail oriented bike in the first place.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I demoed the Mach 429 Trail several times and LOVED it. I came close to buying it, but I tend to keep my bikes for a few years and the timing just wasn't right. Last year I was in the market for something new and demoed a number of bikes, deciding on the Trail 429. I absolutely love the T429. I did a few back to back sections trading between my T429 and a friends 429T. I definitely like my new T429 better. I enjoy the extra reach and it feels like there's a lot more front end traction (I don't know for sure if that's the tire or the geo, but it was noticeable). The suspension my new bike felt tons better, but that may just be set up. The old 429T is an awesome bike though and I had a great time riding it. I probably would not trade my new bike for the old version and $2,000, but if money was more of a concern, I wouldn't hesitate to find a deal on the old version (or the Tallboy, which was another bike I really enjoyed). Good luck!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
good input for you---I really think 3K is high by about 1K especially for a mid range build--used bike market is really poor especially when a bike is super seeded. The XL should fit well at your height.
I would really struggle buying w/o a test ride--I know folks do this but for me that would be really hard. I wonder if someone on these forums has one near you---

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.