Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Jay
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey -

I know they're very different bikes but I'm curious if anyone out there has had experience with a Mach 4 and a Fuel EX? These are two bikes I'm considering as xc/trail options. I already have a 6-inch travel bike for an AM rig but want something faster and more efficient for a lot of the front range trails.

The Fuel seems redundant with what I already have, which is why I'm hesitant on it. My main questions on the Mach 4 are: is that much stiffer than the fuel and is it truly as capable going downhill as advertised?

I'm going to try and demo them, but would love any input from previous owners.

Thx!

·
Registered
Pivot Trail 429 & Switchblade
551 Posts
Hey -

I know they're very different bikes but I'm curious if anyone out there has had experience with a Mach 4 and a Fuel EX? These are two bikes I'm considering as xc/trail options. I already have a 6-inch travel bike for an AM rig but want something faster and more efficient for a lot of the front range trails.

The Fuel seems redundant with what I already have, which is why I'm hesitant on it. My main questions on the Mach 4 are: is that much stiffer than the fuel and is it truly as capable going downhill as advertised?

I'm going to try and demo them, but would love any input from previous owners.

Thx!
I can't comment on the Mach 4 but the Mach 5 and 429 are more rigid and pedal much better. Descending on the 429 is very natural and confident inspiring. Again, I'm not sure how it's geometry compares to the 4.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I own a mach 4 and demoed a ex9.8 today. I would go for the pivot if you are looking for something with better peddling efficiancy and stiffness. The fuel ex was definatly a softer ride, but you already have a 6" travel bike for the gnarly stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.