Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found a great deal on a one year old Mach 4 with a 100mm Rockshox SID XX World Cup fork and a monarch 4.2. As I have heard bad things about the fork will it be plush enough on the mach 4 along with the bike for trail and all mountain riding. Also would a medium mach 4 be too big for me at 5'6"?

·
Jamin, Applesause, No?
708 Posts
I think so. My wife is 5.5 and my medium mach 5 is way too big for her. You would probably be good on a small. If it is a trail bike you are looking for I would just go for a mach 5 or 5.7. Where are you planning on riding?

I would also see if a dropper post would fit on a small frame for your size. I am 6' and the medium with a reverb post on it fits me perfect. The reverb is mounted almost all the way down the seat tube. i do not think a Large would have allowed me to run a dropper.

At 5.5 the xs fit my wife perfect with a 110mm stem and a set back seatpost.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I think so. My wife is 5.5 and my medium mach 5 is way too big for her. You would probably be good on a small. If it is a trail bike you are looking for I would just go for a mach 5 or 5.7. Where are you planning on riding?

I would also see if a dropper post would fit on a small frame for your size. I am 6' and the medium with a reverb post on it fits me perfect. The reverb is mounted almost all the way down the seat tube. i do not think a Large would have allowed me to run a dropper.

At 5.5 the xs fit my wife perfect with a 110mm stem and a set back seatpost.
Damn, you're 6' on a medium? I'm 5'11 on a Large. :p I prefer a longer top tube with a shorter stem and wide bars. Guess it just goes to show you how fit is a very personal thing. I couldn't use my Reverb, but a 100mm Command Post BlackLite works just fine. :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am in college in Pittsburgh, I'm planning to ride there in Atlanta with some racing. I'm also planning to do the transcontinental divide this summer.

Baecker so you think I would be fine on a medium?

Also how plush is a sid world cup xx?

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I am in college in Pittsburgh, I'm planning to ride there in Atlanta with some racing. I'm also planning to do the transcontinental divide this summer.

Baecker so you think I would be fine on a medium?

Also how plush is a sid world cup xx?
Well I guess I should clarify that I'm on a Mach 5.7, not a Mach 4. Forgot to put that in my previous post. The Mach 4s have shorter top tubes than the Mach 5.7 though so I'd imagine you'd be fine, but it really depends on what your body proportions are. Some people have long legs/short torso and vice versa. It also depends on what riding position/feel you prefer. Some people like to be more stretched out, some more upright. Some people like a longer wheelbase for more stability downhill. Some like a smaller bike that they can throw around easier. Do you know what size top tube you prefer? What's the TT length of your current bike? That should be a good baseline. The standover isn't much different between the small and the medium, and standover isn't nearly as important as how your bike feels once you're actually on the bike and riding it. It's a big decision to decide blindly. I'd demo if I were you, even if I had to drive a ways to do so.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My TT is a 23" right now as I am a medium MKIII. It seems that the medium MkIII is just as big as the pivot mach 4 so I hope I'll be fine. Also how much difference does a 120mm fork make over a 100mm fork.

·
West Chester, PA
5,009 Posts
I found a great deal on a one year old Mach 4 with a 100mm Rockshox SID XX World Cup fork and a monarch 4.2. As I have heard bad things about the fork will it be plush enough on the mach 4 along with the bike for trail and all mountain riding. Also would a medium mach 4 be too big for me at 5'6"?
The frame can handle aggressive riding. But its a short wheelbase bike and it can get a little nervous on descents. The head tube angle is more race oriented than all mountain oriented. If you're going fast enough you'll wish for more stability.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.