Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
This place needs an enema
17,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a chance to ride a sizeable chunk of the MDH a few weeks back. I'd packed the bike and pack for a long day-into-night and possibly overnight, hoping to ride the whole trail end-to-end yet not being sure what I was getting into. When I arrived at the TH I learned that, swollen from the wet spring/summer they've been experiencing up thataway, the Little Missouri River was running ~15 feet higher than the locals recommend for 'safe' crossing.

15 feet?

Errrr, um, ok...

Damn.

So my thru-ride attempt became an out-to-the-river-and-back. Fortunately the river is pretty much the halfway point, so I still got a good ride in.

Fun, fast and flowy.

If you're SS'ing or a notorious masher, bring a spare pair of legs or a backpack-mounted glycogen canister. I felt like He-Man for the first ~30 miles, muscling up everything and refusing to drop to my granny. Then I spent the next 10 hours wondering when I'd been lobotomized...

"Hey you guys! Look!! Poop! Glorious wonderful delicious poop! Numnumnumnumnumnum..."

Apparently I wasn't the only one who'd been lobotomized... ?!

Doesn't get much narrower than this.

OK so maybe it does.

Nice visual stimulation after half a day of rolling hills and grasslands.

Not that there's anything wrong with rolling hills and grasslands...

Crossing any low/wetlands became the mental challenge of the day (well aside from the burst climbs. And the heat. And the aridity. And...) because as the grass got taller and closer to the trail, the number of ticks that found their way onto me increased too. I'd accelerate to get through the thick stuff AFAP, then drop the bike and mash the little bloodsucking bastiges as they sprinted for my socks or armpits. Probably nuked ~25+ that way on the trail (and you can't simply flick them off...), then found four more embedded in various, er... places when I showered that night.

Like between my toes...

Where were you thinking?

Did I say something about need for a backpack mounted glycogen canister? Lotsa short steep stingers in there.

For those planning to go, know that water is available, although only where you find it. Get a map in Medora (S terminus of the trail) at Dakota Cyclery. The route is marked well enough to navigate by, but poorly enough to keep you entertained and focused. The GPS was superfluous until dark, and then it became worth it's weight in unobtanium. Completely and totally non-technical track, with the exception of hidden ruts beneath the taller grasses. Most technical part IMO was the constant tick removal routine. Never seen anything like it. Although you see scads of oil drill rigs out there (they're small, discreet ones :rolleyes:) and cross a few service roads, I only saw one other human all day. He was heading in the other direction, and we merely exchanged nods as we continued about our solitary enjoyment.

Great day on the bike.

MC

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Mike, I can't find your email address anywhere on your site, and I was curious what demo wheels you may have sitting around?

email me at: richm AT crutchfield DOT com

Nice pics and ride report. too bad the river was up so high. We could use some of the moisture over here.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Looks like fun. Did you try spraying your legs with insect repellent with DEET?

Could I have a bit of translation? So where is MDH? and what is "XP"? Are you trying to say you took your computer with you and hadn't upgraded to Vista yet?

·
Scott in Tucson
1,331 Posts
mikesee said:
You're such a coward. Can't you bunny hop?

mikesee said:
Doesn't get much narrower than this.
Nice pics. That's my fav.

That trail crew picture is just awesome. The small amount of trail work they accomplished will soon be erased, but that'll be there for a long time. Too bad they showed up at all.

What happened to the x-axis of your profile there? Magically disappear? What was the total mileage and climbing? (Emailing of GPX file will suffice).

...I only saw one other human all day. He was heading in the other direction, and we merely exchanged nods as we continued about our solitary enjoyment.
Nice. Thanks for the report and pics. I've always wondered what MDH is like.

·
17,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Padre said:
Wow....a "regular" ride for you and the rest of us is quite a different thing... =)
Oh how I (sometimes) long for the days when this *was* a regular ride. <sighs> Not so much anymore--this was a treat.

Quasi said:
Could I have a bit of translation? So where is MDH? and what is "XP"? Are you trying to say you took your computer with you and hadn't upgraded to Vista yet?
MDH connects the N and S units of Teddy Roosevelt Nat'l Park in far western North Dakota. The tourist trap of Medora is very close to the southern terminus.

Vista? I don't think I have that on my Commodore 64...

MC

·
17,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Krein said:
You're such a coward. Can't you bunny hop?
There you go stealing my lines again. Get it straight--*you're* the perennial coward.

Nice pics. That's my fav.
If you're into... Nevermind.

That trail crew picture is just awesome. The small amount of trail work they accomplished will soon be erased, but that'll be there for a long time. Too bad they showed up at all.
I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Rode away dumbfounded, then turned around to get the pic, not entirely certain that it was real. Wow.

What happened to the x-axis of your profile there? Magically disappear? What was the total mileage and climbing?
Can't stop laughing right now--almost blew some carrot out my nose! I removed that axis specifically to draw you out, and you bit hook, line, and you-know-what.

(Emailing of GPX file will suffice).
Oh really? What happened to the on-sight idea, Captain Cowardice?

Thanks for the report and pics. I've always wondered what MDH is like.
Now you know a little bit. I feel compelled to warn you that the temps in July/August are 100+--'bout 30 degrees too hot for a nervous-nelly type like you...

MC

·
Scott in Tucson
1,331 Posts
mikesee said:
There you go stealing my lines again.
Why come up with new ones when it's so easy (and far more amusing) to use your own words against you?

Can't stop laughing right now--almost blew some carrot out my nose! I removed that axis specifically to draw you out, and you bit hook, line, and you-know-what.
Nice cover story. We all know you removed it to hide the fact that you turned tail 3 miles into it after running into a 15 inch deep "river".

Oh really? What happened to the on-sight idea, Captain Cowardice?
Gotta have my G.P.S. crutch. Me riding without a GPS would be like you riding without wheels. Or somethin' like that.

Now you know a little bit. I feel compelled to warn you that the temps in July/August are 100+--'bout 30 degrees too hot for a nervous-nelly type like you...
At this point I'd gladly take 105 over 70. Me and my wimpy knee.

·
17,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Krein said:
Why come up with new ones when it's so easy (and far more amusing) to use your own words against you?
Hard to argue with that kinda logic...:eek:ut:

Krein said:
Nice cover story. We all know you removed it to hide the fact that you turned tail 3 miles into it after running into a 15 inch deep "river".
Ha! Can you imagine lugging a bike along on a 3-mile "ride" that had an elevation profile like "that"?!

Krein said:
Gotta have my G.P.S. crutch. Me riding without a GPS would be like you riding without wheels. Or somethin' like that.
Do they make a GPS version of your iPhone yet? Can't leave home without that...

Krein said:
At this point I'd gladly take 105 over 70. Me and my wimpy knee.
We're riding every day this week (100 to 103 predicted)--c'mon over and prove it.

MC

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.