Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I take 14,000 ft drops
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading a lot of posts about both but I wanted to ask the folks who have ridden the x0 trail's what they think. I am coming off of the XTRm970's which have ok power and good modulation. Pricing for me is about 50 bucks cheaper for the trail. I know most of you will chime in for Shimano regardless of experience with sram x0 trail but I would prefer some qualified opinions.

Anyone know the true weight difference with 160's front and rear?

·
The Fastest of Bananas
1,792 Posts
Been reading a lot of posts about both but I wanted to ask the folks who have ridden the x0 trail's what they think. I am coming off of the XTRm970's which have ok power and good modulation. Pricing for me is about 50 bucks cheaper for the trail. I know most of you will chime in for Shimano regardless of experience with sram x0 trail but I would prefer some qualified opinions.

Anyone know the true weight difference with 160's front and rear?
If you mentioned price at all, then why not XT? I vote shimano all the way. The trails feel fine, but just dont feel as good as shimano. If I had to make an analogy, its drinking coke out of a plastic bottle vs glass.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

·
I take 14,000 ft drops
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Although I haven't ridden any new XTs, I have some friends on the trail like the modulation of my old XTRs a little more. They claim the XTs have a little of the on/off feel. That analogy is actually gold. Nice stated

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I find both to be lacking compared to my M755 XT or the M820 Saints, my main issue being modulation & control. With XTR you can mostly get around this if you're like me and don't mind having the levers a fair ways out from the bars; unwind the free stroke adjust to give more free stroke and the brakes will engage in a better part of the servo-wave leverage curve. The brakes come on more gradually this way and I have fewer accidental lock-ups. This of course doesn't help you if you like having the levers close to the bar or want minimal brake lever travel before brake engagement.

With XO Trails you're SOL, the lever has a fairly linear leverage curve as opposed to Shimano's non-linear servo-wave mechanism. Adjusting pad contact & lever reach isn't going to move you into a better part of the curve like it does with Shimano. Power seems to be around the same as XTR, modulation is slightly better than an XTR with the free stroke adjuster turned all the way in, but the XTR edges it out when I have the free stroke dialed back out.

If I had to pick between XO Trail and XTR, I'd go with XTR since 2 out the 4 X9/X0 Trail brakes I've ridden have either squealed or turkey gobbled like many other Avids. Not as loudly as Elixirs or Juicys, but more than enough to annoy me. Every XTR I've ridden has been silent. With all else being fairly close, I'd go with Shimano for this reason alone.

·
I take 14,000 ft drops
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You basically supplied the exact type of answer I am looking for. Thanks for taking the time to inform me. Now I see why your rep is so insanely high. +1'd ya for the help

·
The Fastest of Bananas
1,792 Posts
I find both to be lacking compared to my M755 XT
Think so? My LBS owner commented the other day on how good my M775s felt. I was thinking about running the new levers with the old calipers.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

·
I take 14,000 ft drops
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up with the XTR trails for $364 shipped and I expect to see them Monday. Thanks for the help guys. I think I added rep points for everyone that contributed.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I think you'll be happy with your choice. I'll just add another Shimano benefit and that's if you want/have to bleed them, their gravity bleed system works very easy and very well and no damn DOT fluid to corrode anything. Guy busted the hose on his XTR 980s about 6" from the lever, all I did was cut the hose, new bar and olive, re-insert, pop on the Shimano bleed reservoir cup and pump the lever to refill the system, air bubbles came up, fluid went in, Voila. Did for safety and being thorough, bleed out the caliper, just attach a hose/syringed hose to the bleed pirt screw, open and let gravity do it's thing or faster use the syringe, but didn't need to really.

I ended up with the XTR trails for $364 shipped and I expect to see them Monday. Thanks for the help guys. I think I added rep points for everyone that contributed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts