Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a 32T ring on a 980 triple crank for my SS. A bit ott, but nice.. The rings are 104 BCD but the 'tab' depth of the 980 middle ring is deeper than normal so the ring doesn't sit on the crank shoulders, it's just supported by the oversize XTR-specific bolts and tabs.

Anyone found a non-ramped ring that fits the tab shoulders properly? HBC has just std 104 BCD rings, I'm not aware of any other options and it's a small market so I'm expecting to go back to an XT rather than risk sheared bolts..

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So this morning's ride turned into non-stop-creaks on the climbs after an our or so. I was prepared to eat my words about Bushnell EBBs.. I went home and swapped back to my XT cranks but left the EBB alone - the creak dissapeared. It may not have been the ring / XTR tab-bolt arrangement but I rode another 3 hours today on a silent drivetrain... so I'm over the XTR and back on good old XT.

They can bury their proprietary fittings where the mud's too deep to ride :)

As nice as that XTR set-up looked, there's something reassuring about a crank you can afford to abuse on a SS. XT feels a tad stiffer too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.