Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Illuminati
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
some time ago I remeber seeing Roland Green riding a M950 cranks, with possibly an XT(?) smaller ring/ spider combo than the stock 46/34/24. Does anyone know of any other suitable aftermarket spiders that are available in Micro Drive so that I can run smaller rings? 4 or 5 bolt :) (I'd prefer 5)

many thanks!

·
dutchie
52 Posts
scant said:
Hi all
some time ago I remeber seeing Roland Green riding a M950 cranks, with possibly an XT(?) smaller ring/ spider combo than the stock 46/34/24. Does anyone know of any other suitable aftermarket spiders that are available in Micro Drive so that I can run smaller rings? 4 or 5 bolt :) (I'd prefer 5)

many thanks!
any old pre hollow tech/hollow tech LX or XT spider should work. They won't be cheap though. Other then shimano you can opt for Middleburn or specialte TA 4 bolt spiders.
Profile design should also have a couple of spiders that should be working, as does Adventure Components.

Do a seach for XTR spider and there will be a number of option popping up, there have been topics about this in the past. There will also be a few links to options I mentioned above.

Richard.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a 5 arm compact spider for my good old XTR 950s I don't know who it was made by, but it never worked right. The space for the crank arm simply wasn't big enough so I had to grind it down to make it fit, and it still doesn't fit perfectly. The 4 arm spiders shouldn't have that problem. Also splines are different between LX and XT/XTR cranks. You should be able to get a spider, made by Shimano, through your LBS, tell them to order it from BTI. They do list a 5 arm compact spider, but after my fiasco I wouldn't try it.

https://www.bti-usa.com/item.asp?item=SH20601&searchtype=&itemsearch=&showSec=0&filter=

·
Registered
202 Posts
Keep a lookout on Ebay

I purchased an old xt set on Ebay and used the spider for the exact same purpose on my old Homegrown. The cool thing is you can get a really beat up set because the spider will almost always be ok.

Other wise bikeparts has them aswell.

http://www.bikeparts.com/search_results.asp?ID=SH20601

Attachments

·
No known cure
3,929 Posts
I did that too

Mtbric said:
I purchased an old xt set on Ebay and used the spider for the exact same purpose on my old Homegrown. The cool thing is you can get a really beat up set because the spider will almost always be ok.

I bought a beatup set of XT's for $20 just for the compact spider for my girlfriend's 172.5 XTR's. (bolts are Ti.)

Attachments

·
No known cure
3,929 Posts
ti bolt source

Hosehead said:
Where did you find Ti BB fixing bolts for the cranks?
I got 'em from hyperbolts.com Other sources are racebolts and redmist motorsports. I tiodized them myself with a home jewelry tiodize unit that I can't remember where I got. Here's more tiodizing.

Attachments

·
Registered
953 Posts
Mtbric said:

When you guys say "old" can you be more specific - is it really "pre hollowtech" that we are looking for. I've been trying to find a solution to this problem for some time too, without much luck. Any actual part numbers would be great.

Thanks

·
dutchie
52 Posts
slcpunk said:
When you guys say "old" can you be more specific - is it really "pre hollowtech" that we are looking for. I've been trying to find a solution to this problem for some time too, without much luck. Any actual part numbers would be great.

Thanks
750 series XT from 98/99/00 is what you must look for, they are the square taper cranks. I couldn't find a image on google.

The BTI link a few posts up is what you need though, if you want a quick solution.

Richard.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Setzer said:
750 series XT from 98/99/00 is what you must look for, they are the square taper cranks. I couldn't find a image on google.

The BTI link a few posts up is what you need though, if you want a quick solution.

Richard.
Excellent thanks - BTI is showing not in stock now...must have created too much "buzz". I'll keep my eye out for the 750 series Sqr Taper.

Thanks again

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
slcpunk said:
Excellent thanks - BTI is showing not in stock now...must have created too much "buzz". I'll keep my eye out for the 750 series Sqr Taper.

Thanks again

Just to be clear, all LX and the 8 speed XT will NOT work. The spider is too thick. The M750 XT was the first model that was interchangeable with XTR. I not 100% but I would strongly suggest that the later XT cranks (Hollowtech and even Hollowtech II) use the same spider but it is pressed on instead of a lockring. So you could probably buy the $89 XT cranks at Jenson, dremel the crank arm and remove the spider and rings. If it worked, it would be cheaper than buying a $40 spider and then buying rings. Again, not 100% but then again, why would they change when it's working fine.

Someone with an old worn out/boogered up XT Hollowtech want to check it out?

·
Down South Yooper
1,010 Posts
Call webcyclery

After some time repeated phone calls from the shop to the supplier, Webcyclery came up with some of the AC spiders for a M950 crank. I think I paid about $30 for it, new with warranty. It fit the crank fine, the c-clip fit back on, and it worked great. As noted above, the LX 5 arm compact BCD spider will not work with 950 arms, it ends up bottoming out on the bb shell because of the thickness.

Also, as I recall, they had either 4 bolt (104), 5 bolt (94) or 5 bolt (110) available. I think it took about 1 month to get mine, but I think they ordered a bunch with mine..

Plum

·
Illuminati
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
whats the contact details for web cyclery please? Or a direct link to a 5arm micro drive spider truly appreciated :)

·
Illuminati
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok, so on the flip side then. Surely a stock 46,34,24 M950 chainring set should happily fit onto the 98/99/00 M750 XT chainset? Curious incase :)

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,908 Posts
Hershey racing also made spiders and there were lots on ebay over the years.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
scant said:
ok, so on the flip side then. Surely a stock 46,34,24 M950 chainring set should happily fit onto the 98/99/00 M750 XT chainset? Curious incase :)
The M750 was introduced in 1999 as part of the major downgrade to Mega-9 speed. And yes, the M750 will fit the XTR spider/rings no problem. Although new larger chainrings for the stock 104/64 bolt pattern would be MUCH cheaper.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Homebrew said:
Just to be clear, all LX and the 8 speed XT will NOT work. The spider is too thick. The M750 XT was the first model that was interchangeable with XTR. I not 100% but I would strongly suggest that the later XT cranks (Hollowtech and even Hollowtech II) use the same spider but it is pressed on instead of a lockring. So you could probably buy the $89 XT cranks at Jenson, dremel the crank arm and remove the spider and rings. If it worked, it would be cheaper than buying a $40 spider and then buying rings. Again, not 100% but then again, why would they change when it's working fine.

Someone with an old worn out/boogered up XT Hollowtech want to check it out?
I started thinking about this...if you are going to purchase the $89 crankset, maybe it would be better to throw in the $30 BB and just go all XT ... I guess I'll lose the grams that my old 950 BB is saving me. but aren't the new XT crankarms lighter than the old XTRs? ( hard to tell from weightweenies )

1 - 20 of 22 Posts