Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm interested in upgrading to M8100 brakes, but am unsure if I can use my existing shifters with them.
I currently have M9000 shifters that have seperate clamps (in other words, not ispec).
Does anyone know if a normal bar clamp will fit between the brake levers clamp and brake lever support arch? Or would I have to mount them inboard of the clamp?

Let me know,
Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The newest generation Shimano brakes (m9100, m8100 and m7100) have a new clamp / mounting setup. The clamp is moved inboard (closer to the stem) and there is a support arch on the brake lever close to the grip. (If you look at a picture of the new brakes, you'll see what I mean).
My question is - can you fit a m9000 Shimano shifter in between the clamp & support arch? Or will it interfere?

·
Registered
505 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, that is exactly the area I'm asking about.

I did already find that other forum and was looking at the pictures, but I didn't see anyone trying to fit a band clamp in that area.

It looks like there is some space there, and the M9000 shifter clamp is quite small, so hopefully it'll work. I ordered the brakes regardless, so I'll find out shortly after they arrive how well they'll fit / work.

Cheers

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey Visser,

Just had an M8120 rear installed on an otherwise SRAM bike. I'm pretty sure the M8120 is the same lever structure as the M8100 (it has the clamp + additional support tab).

Can confirm that an X9 shifter clamp does fit in that spot. M9000 shifter mounting band looks much cleaner/narrower -> I think you'll have no problem with clearances, but make sure your shifter is handy/ready to go on when you mount the brake lever!

Good luck,
Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.