Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999/2000 (don't remember) Raleigh M80 that i rode hard for a couple years, then went off to college and haven't touched it since. I went into the basement yesterday and pulled it out and to my suprise most of the metal parts have rusted out, including the pedals, chain, gears, most of the screws and the handlebars look like they have some kind of erosion going on probably just from the humidity down there as they haven't been exposed to direct rain or water since I rode it. The shocks are probably also garbage now, it feels like they have no give. Is it worth my time trying to clean and derust any of the parts or should I just go to a dealer and have them replace everything? Also is it worth buying a new fork or is the one I have on it now fixable. It is a RockShox of some sort, they are all black with the RockShox logo and a rubber sleeve over the part that depresses. Sorry for the lack of appropriate lingo I am really a newb in the trust form. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
MTB Rider
3,000 Posts
Are they rusted or "rusted through". Surface rust probably isn't a problem. Just oil the chain and most of the rust will fall off by the action of riding the bike. Same goes for the gears. If there is bad rust on the pedals, you should replace them. The screws are likely only rusted on the surface so there is no real concern about those. If the fork is stuck, try riding it, that might loosen things up. Otherwise your local mechanic might be able to get it moving again.

If you want a "pretty" bike that is not rusted, it's best just to buy a new bike. It will be a lot cheaper than buying individual parts.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Yeah, clean it up, sell it on ebay and buy another bike...a little C.L.R. or S.O.S. pads may help get the rust off, just be carefull srubbing if the area is painted... oil everything and left it sit and soak for a while then rid eit around a bit...may not be as bad as it looks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.