Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a used M6 with a brand new revox rear shock. The back tire was hitting the seat tube so Intense sent me new dropouts and told me to put a smaller tire on it. . The new dropouts say M6 135mm on them and I set the shock up for 30% sag. I can sink down on my flat driveway and still get it to rub. Is there a thread on here or can someone please tell me what the hell is going on?? After researching it seems to be a very common problem but I haven't been able to find a good explanation of how to fix it. This is probably old to most of you but It's new to me. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
No problem with mine with 2.5" Maxxis Minions/Highrollers.

Rubbing was a very common problem with the first generation of dropouts, but the M6 versions mostly resolved it.

Are you sure it's not rubbing the seat? If I recall correctly, assuming you raise the seat enough, the first contact point can be the seat post clamp.

After you figure out your rubbing problem, the best thing you can do is toss that shock and get a Cane Creek Double Barrel shock.

M6 135 dropouts??? I've never seen those! I've only seen the M6 150 dropouts. But that's not to say you don't have them - just never seen them. But the M6 150 dropouts won't change that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blaster- Thanks for the reply. I spun the seatpost clamp around and ran a piece of tape down the post and frame. It rubs the tape off just below the clamp.

Yeah I know on the double barrel I've got one on my other bike. I was just being cheap. but it still should not rub. It should be designed to take the full travel no matter what kind of shock is on it. Maybe the stroke is longer on the revox which lets it go further??? I'll have to check that out.

I know 135 is kind of odd but it really shouldn't matter...I'll get some 150 dropouts and a new wheel if it will fix the problem.

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
Agreed that under no circumstance should a normal sized DH tire rub the seat tube, and the shock shouldn't make a difference. Apparently, Intense isn't very thorough with their R&D. This is not the first occurance - and certainly was not the last - of these kind of issues. I replaced my M3 that had some design problems with the M6, which also has problems. I was thinking about an M9, but I see problems with that too. I guess I'll get a Demo if/when I get a new frame.

The travel is the same for both shocks, but the main downside to the Revox is that it blows through the travel too easily, which is why you may experience the rubbing more often. Even with the correct spring. The damping is horrible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.