Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 stumpjumper with shimano M525 disc brakes. Lately, I have been having some serious noise issues when applying brake and feathering through turns (sounds like a dying seal). pads have plenty of life left. I have tried removing the pads and giving them a good sanding only to have the issue come back about 5 min into a ride. Any suggestions?????? thanks for any input.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Clean the rotor....

with denatured alcohol and check your caliper for proper alignment. And also keep in mind feathering a disc brake is when you are most likely to get noise. The pads lightly touching the rotor set up an ideal situation for resonant vibration, esspcially if the rotor is a little out of true, and I've never seen an absolutely perfectly true rotor. If the noise stops when you apply the brake firmly to slow down then this is likely not going to be something that will be easily solved. All disc brakes make noise when applied and I mean 100% of them. It's not possible for them not to, you are rubbing a resign (organic) or metalic pad on a metal disc that is mounted to a metal hub, connected to a metal fork, that is connected to a welded collection of metal tubes, it can't help but make noise. Fortunately for the most part that noise is actually beyond the range of human hearing so we think they are silent.

Anyway, clean the rotors, check your caliper alignment (uneven pad contact can cause howling) and go from there.

Good Dirt

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.