Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there :)

Well I have been wanting to get into mountain biking for some time now and was actually just about to go out and start looking at bikes. Luckily I stopped at my cousins house today, he had a specialized m4 that he doesn't need because he already has another bike, he sold this one to me for 40 bucks. I really don't know much about mountain biking but I am eager to get into it, here are some pictures of the bike if anyone could provide me with information about it that would be appreciated. Right now I believe it just needs a new rear rim and a set of grips, maybe a new chain too? Not sure what seat is on it right now but he gave me a specialized seat to go with it, just haven't put it on yet.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Great bike

Thats a great deal for $40!! Its a good frame for XC riding.

You may need to replace the cables and housing if the cables are rusty or there is a lot of friction changing gears/braking. After replacing the cables the front and rear derailleurs will need to be adjusted ((http://www.parktool.com/repair/)

I would suggest replacing the pedals with some wider platform pedals with studs for better grip.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sillymonkey said:
Thats a great deal for $40!! Its a good frame for XC riding.
Yeah I couldn't believe he only wanted $40 for it, but apparently thats what someone else gave it to him for. He was going to try and sell it on craigslist for more but when I was over today talking about wanting to mountain bike he pulled it out and offered it to me, that way we can go riding together. I'm really excited about it because I was expecting to go out and spend upwards of five hundred or so on a bike.
So how much do you think it may cost to replace the rear rim, and should I try to get the same one as the front or does it matter?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Enduroblood said:
Old school XT and XTR, sweet. Yea, I would say even 80 or 100 bucks would have still been a good deal. Maybe I am blowing smoke out my rear, but you DID get a sweet deal my friend! Welcome.
Thanks! :) I'm excited to get out there and start riding. Any idea on what year it may be?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.