Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Read This!

Mudd,

Take a look at your shock setup vs. dh4life's. Your rear swingarm is backward which is why your shock is upside down. Using it in that position changes the leverage ratio and that negates the whole suspension design! BigJay's is wrong too! You guys have them backwards! Maybe that's why they are/were up for sale???

G MAN

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
Gman086 said:
Mudd,

Take a look at your shock setup vs. dh4life's. Your rear swingarm is backward which is why your shock is upside down. Using it in that position changes the leverage ratio and that negates the whole suspension design! BigJay's is wrong too! You guys have them backwards! Maybe that's why they are/were up for sale???

G MAN
GMan... I don't know what you're talking about... The shock link cannot be switched... ON the older version when they had two different plates, it could happen but now, they're made on ONE piece and there is a metal piece that wraps around the coil spring... It wouldn't work the other way around. As for shock positionning, don't worry, it wasn't installed properly for that picture but it is now:

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
The link IS switched on Mudd's photo - look at it closely. The short end WITH the support arch is in front (one-piece) which is why his shock is upside down.

Ray, your set-up is still wrong tho you appear to have the swing-arm correct (arch to the rear). If you leave it as-is, you can puncture the remote reservoir with your seat-tube or that arch when you bottom-out on a large drop. Try pushing thru the full travel with the spring removed and you'll see what I mean. Guy's who swapped to Progressive 5ths have them mounted like yours (including me) BUT you HAVE to saw off some of that protruding seat tube AND the entire arch MUST GO (making it a two piece swing arm versus one with the arch that you alluded to). Ray - the ONLY correct set-up WITH the Fox shock and that swing arm arch is as in the photo by dh4life! Go to a bike shop and they'll show you.

Happy Trails,

G MAN

BigJay said:
GMan... I don't know what you're talking about... The shock link cannot be switched... ON the older version when they had two different plates, it could happen but now, they're made on ONE piece and there is a metal piece that wraps around the coil spring... It wouldn't work the other way around. As for shock positionning, don't worry, it wasn't installed properly for that picture but it is now:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.