Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went with the route that Turner does....I did it because there would be no surprises and they do it all the time......

First off you have to get it Sicel brushed....this makes everything smooth and takes out all the pits.........Custom Metal Finishing told me....go to Bush Polishing

Bush Polishing
11544 Anabel Ave
Garden Grove, Ca. 92843
714-537-1044

Dave Bush told me it would take 5 days (most the time it takes longer........I had it the next morning....I will post pictures later......you could just clear coat and it would look very nice. (still might do that)

Custom Metal Coating
17804 South Western Avenue
Gardena 90248
(310) 532-5075

I then took it to Cus Metal Finishing........Lily and her brother are very very nice people....they shine the bike to look like Chrome and then Anodize.....very much top flight organization......they were the only company to buff it to a shine like chrome.....everywhere else near Burbank and Sunland ....didn't shine the bike before anodizing.

I ended up not using Cus Metal Finishing because they didn't have the Candie Apple Red or Electric Red I wanted. Just by visiting shops and seeing what goes on. I would still have to say Custom Metal Finishing was the best shop I went to today after visting 15 shops.....

I will probably just get it Powdercoated (a special podercoat that looks like Anodize) or just a clear coat put on it after doing the Sicel Brush....I will decide tomorrow

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
I went with the route that Turner does....I did it because there would be no surprises and they do it all the time......

First off you have to get it Sicel brushed....this makes everything smooth and takes out all the pits.........Custom Metal Finishing told me....go to Bush Polishing

Bush Polishing
11544 Anabel Ave
Garden Grove, Ca. 92843
714-537-1044

Dave Bush told me it would take 5 days (most the time it takes longer........I had it the next morning....I will post pictures later......you could just clear coat and it would look very nice. (still might do that)

Custom Metal Coating
17804 South Western Avenue
Gardena 90248
(310) 532-5075

I then took it to Cus Metal Finishing........Lily and her brother are very very nice people....they shine the bike to look like Chrome and then Anodize.....very much top flight organization......they were the only company to buff it to a shine like chrome.....everywhere else near Burbank and Sunland ....didn't shine the bike before anodizing.

I ended up not using Cus Metal Finishing because they didn't have the Candie Apple Red or Electric Red I wanted. Just by visiting shops and seeing what goes on. I would still have to say Custom Metal Finishing was the best shop I went to today after visting 15 shops.....

I will probably just get it Powdercoated (a special podercoat that looks like Anodize) or just a clear coat put on it after doing the Sicel Brush....I will decide tomorrow
Show me my bike welds sicel brushed.
R.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dogonfr said:
Be shure to clean the welds beffor the powder coat, im shure they know better. That Candy/Anodize Powder coat is a awsome look. When the pics comming, your just a tease!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
as it sits right now in my house is what it looks like....tomorrow is judgement day

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
like this...the darkness in the welds is the rubbing compound
Wow.
That looks like Ball Burnish. Some place in Gardena would put our frames in a big a$$ drum with a bunch of ball bearings and rouge and tumble them for a week or so. It made the Alum. look like chrome.
Thats sick.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rickthewelder said:
Wow.
That looks like Ball Burnish. Some place in Gardena would put our frames in a big a$$ drum with a bunch of ball bearings and rouge and tumble them for a week or so. It made the Alum. look like chrome.
Thats sick.
it has grimey finger and smudge prints on it still......it looks awesome.....just might leave it if the powdercoater doesn't work out tomorrow. I ruled out anodize

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
it has grimey finger and smudge prints on it still......it looks awesome.....just might leave it if the powdercoater doesn't work out tomorrow. I ruled out anodize
This is my 5.5. It has a Ball Burnished rear and in this pic is 2 1/2 yrs. old.
We made like 5 BB M3's for some team a while ago.
And they were the only ones that I know of.
You might have a rarity there Bobalou...........
:)
RTW.

Attachments

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rickthewelder said:
This is my 5.5. It has a Ball Burnished rear and in this pic is 2 1/2 yrs. old.
We made like 5 BB M3's for some team a while ago.
And they were the only ones that I know of.
You might have a rarity there Bobalou...........
:)
RTW.
well lets put it this way........how much does Powdercoating a frame run around

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
It kinda fluctuates on how much they have to do & how many of the same or similar color. It cost money to fire up the oven so if they have alot you can talk them down like a bulk discount. If they have the color you want, it is probibly paid for from the original purchaser. If they have to order a color for you the price goes up. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
I ruled out anodize
i think powdercoat is the way to go...that frame isn't like a bullitt(made of mechanically/cosmetically consistent manufactured tubing) and won't look good anodized....think of the Brodie's that have anodize...nasty chit!

that frame is practically custom, so go custom powdercoat!!

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
.WestCoastHucker. said:
if you don't get it anodized, you'll be sorry. it easily has the best looking end result. not to mention, the weight weenie inside you wants it because it's the lightest.....
Weight weenie? I'm starting to think he's a girl.
This M3 ordeal is becomming like one of those queer make over shows. :rolleyes:

Mike, when he finishes this bike, for your own safety............PLEASE DON'T LEAN ON IT!

:eek: :p :p :p :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.