Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone going to the 2006 Commonwealth Mountain Bike state championships in march?

I happened to pick up some free tickets :)

My friend and i are going there this Monday (5th) to check it out. We've been there before, but they were still in the process of making the course. It has now been finished so we are now going to check it out and give it a test ride. The track is known to be 6km long and 100% XC.

On the 11th we are going again to check out some races that are happening.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Ummmm Yep!

Haven't been there yet; but I would like to get up there someday soon. National XC Round #3 is on there next weekend. I am thinking of racing Expert next weekend- it should be great to have a hitout around the Commonwealth Games course... First time racing Expert, and it's been well over a year since I've raced XC so it should be interesting :p

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just went to Lysterfield yesterday. Amazing! The track is hard but extremely fun! Here are some pics if you want to see what its like.

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
Looks awesome! Hopefulyl i can get out there in january when i'm next up that way:)

That section in the first photo looks like it would be scary if it were wet.

·
Registered
934 Posts
i hate to crush your excitement but the first 4 pics are of a section that isn't actually in the comm games race course.

the only really technical section starts by going right in the 5th and 6th photos at the sign that has a 10 and two arrows on it.

on a whole the race track is easy to ride, but very hard to ride quickly so will make for a good spectacle at the comm games with people pushing the limits in corners.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aussie_yeti said:
i hate to crush your excitement but the first 4 pics are of a section that isn't actually in the comm games race course.

the only really technical section starts by going right in the 5th and 6th photos at the sign that has a 10 and two arrows on it.

on a whole the race track is easy to ride, but very hard to ride quickly so will make for a good spectacle at the comm games with people pushing the limits in corners.
Yeah i know that. I just took some photos of this really steep rocky part which didn't look like XC to me. I could have taken more pics of the games track but i was too busy riding :p I'll bring some more pics up when i go out again on the 11th.

·
Registered
934 Posts
i'll be out there either tomorrow (thursday) or friday aswell as saturday for the national round.

those first pics of the rocky sections are still xc, i'd love them to be in the course but they go nowhere.

·
Girt by sea.
464 Posts
The place is definitely on my list of things to do when I get to Melbourne in early January.

I note on the brochures that the park opens at 8.30am. Does that mean it's impossible to get in earlier than that time? I'm a (very) early riser and would prefer to be there at 6.00am. Any hints from the locals on whether I should turn up that early? Would I be wasting my time waiting around for the gates to open?

Cheers,
Graeme

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Kalgrm said:
I note on the brochures that the park opens at 8.30am. Does that mean it's impossible to get in earlier than that time? I'm a (very) early riser and would prefer to be there at 6.00am. Any hints from the locals on whether I should turn up that early? Would I be wasting my time waiting around for the gates to open?
Most of the carparks are gated, but there is nothing stopping you using the park earlier than 8:30. The Hallam North road carpark (small, located right next to the commgames course) isn't gated, and I've parked there at 7:30am before with no problems. Otherwise you can catch a train to Hallam station and ride to the park from there.

·
Girt by sea.
464 Posts
Thanks Some Guy,

I'll use the Hallam North Rd car park. The train will be too much hassle from Chelsea.

Cheers,
Graeme

1 - 10 of 10 Posts