Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my 2009 Fox Talas 36 had non functioning travel adjustment out of the box I took it as a sign and returned it for a refund. Now I am considering a 2008 Lyrik (U-turn or perhaps the 2-step) and am wondering who actually has one that does NOT creak? Who has been happy with the performance of there Lyrik?

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
I really like the Lyrik. The function and feel are excellent and maintenance is a breeze.

On the other hand...

Creaking crowns. Man, I have had a few: Pike, Lyric, Totem. The new forks are usually silent for a long time, long enough that you figure you are in the clear. Then sometime during month 3 or so, you will be on a really rough ride and notice the ticking when you really get on the front brake down something steep.

Mine have never progressed beyond a mild "tick, tick" and I have never bothered to replace a CSU specifically because of it. It's annoying. But compared to the "Clunk, CLACK" and WHOOSH (that's the damping failing, or air pressure failing or whatever) that I have experienced with my last two Marzocchis and the various travel adjust/stuck-down headaches I have seen with the TALAS forks, it seems like a minor issue. As far as fork reliability goes, the Lyrik Coil is hard to beat.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the u-turn coil. No problems at all. Completely silent and the damper works great. Now if I could only get my VPP linkage as quiet.....:madman:

BTW--my Lyric is six months old.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,848 Posts
First gen. Lyrik coil I had creaked badly. New CSU fixed that. Now I'm on a Lyrik Solo Air on another bike and it's been creak free right out of the box for a couple months now, in all sorts of riding.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
scrublover said:
First gen. Lyrik coil I had creaked badly. New CSU fixed that. Now I'm on a Lyrik Solo Air on another bike and it's been creak free right out of the box for a couple months now, in all sorts of riding.
Hey scrublover, Do you prefer the coil or the Solo air?

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
The Lyrik is the fork I would have gotten had I not gotten a good deal on the 36 TALAS. Despite the hype and touting of Fox technology and all that, I don't think it's a solid design. I'd rather have gotten a Lyrik and taken my chances with Rock Shox's incredible customer service. What was daunting was seeing all the NIB forks that looks like they came in as warranty replacements. To me, a creaking crown is minimal compared to a blown TALAS unit, RC2, or blown seals, like on the Fox...not to mention being delivered without oil.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:
The Lyrik is the fork I would have gotten had I not gotten a good deal on the 36 TALAS. To me, a creaking crown is minimal compared to a blown TALAS unit, RC2, or blown seals, like on the Fox...not to mention being delivered without oil.
Hey JC, How does your 36 Talas compare to your 2006 Marzocchi Z1 Light?

Jerk_Chicken said:
What was daunting was seeing all the NIB forks that looks like they came in as warranty replacements. .
Are you saying that RS (or others) are selling, or reselling the creaking lyriks as NIB?

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
noosa2 said:
Hey JC, How does your 36 Talas compare to your 2006 Marzocchi Z1 Light?

Are you saying that RS (or others) are selling, or reselling the creaking lyriks as NIB?
Hey man,

That's a question I frequently get. There are tradeoffs to both. I think the 36 is slightly stiffer, although not a "wow" difference. It is discernible, however. The 36 is more fragile, and the paint is absolutely atrocious for an $1100+ fork. It's thin and rubs through quite easily. All the stickers are now peeling. The seals are a joke, as they are a combo of an oil seal and dust cap. The design allows weepage of oil, which is good in theory, but in reality the design allows dirt to get into a cavity in the sliding face of the seal. Get enduros.

Talas is on the fly only for dropping the fork down, something most people will not tell you. Go from a lower to higher travel setting and nothing happens. You must get off the bike or do some wheelies to get the fork to extend. No one told me this before the purchase. ETA has this beat in that regard, although the TAS is not on the fly either.

I think the Fox damper feels more sophisticated, and the high and low speed adjustments are nice. The Zoke's is still excellent and provides tons of options, including oil height. It's a tradeoff because they do what they do differently and it happens I can use both for their strengths.

The QR axle of the Fox means nothing to me. In fact, I kind of think the design sucks.

Fox was delivered without bath oil. All in all, the Fox looks more sophisticated, and finely finished, in and out. The Zoke is like an old Checker cab, by comparison. That construction yields much durability, however.

So...the ride...not much different on the trail since they both work very well. Again, the stiffness is not a hugely different affair.

As far as the NIB RS comment, yeah, I don't know for a fact, but the thing is I used to see tons of ads for NIB shocks from too many people, disproportionate to others. Also members from this forum were doing it too.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
I've never had to get off my bike to raise or lower my 08 TALAS 36. Nor did I ever have to do that with my 05 TALAS 32. It also does not weep oil from the seals what so ever. I've even removed and cleaned them, still no oil comes out. This was not the case with my old 32 however, but I never found it to be a problem.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have had a U-turn coil lyrik for about a year now. The first one had bad bushings, so I got a new set of lowers. Then a creak developed in the crown. I got a new set of uppers. Now I have a creaking crown and slop in the bushings. I'm going to send it back to Rock Shox to see if they can get it straightened as its hands down the best fork I've ever ridden.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.