Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So boasting a $300 price difference is it worth it to get the ultimate vs the select? I mean the select is running the charger damper, maxima fluid, and other than that seems the same? People have been running the charger for 2? Years now with no worries on the top models from rs.

·
Registered
389 Posts
So boasting a $300 price difference is it worth it to get the ultimate vs the select? I mean the select is running the charger damper, maxima fluid, and other than that seems the same? People have been running the charger for 2? Years now with no worries on the top models from rs.
The ultimate has the 2.1 damper and adjustable compression. I guess you'll have to figure out if that is worth your $300. I love my Lyrik Ultimate. I've bought 2 of them. But I tend to like have adjustability on suspension.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The ultimate has the 2.1 damper and adjustable compression. I guess you'll have to figure out if that is worth your $300. I love my Lyrik Ultimate. I've bought 2 of them. But I tend to like have adjustability on suspension.
The select+ Model also has the new charger 2.1, but it only has compression and rebound settings. Its the select model that has the Charger 2

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
The select+ Model also has the new charger 2.1, but it only has compression and rebound settings. Its the select model that has the Charger 2
I don't think the lyrik select is a charger 2. I think it's a new version of the charger with an IFP opposed to a bladder. Similar to the FIT damper on fox and marz forks. Here's my impression from too much research:

Select - charger RC (IFP)
Select+ - charger 2.1 with 1 compression adjustment
Ultimate - charger 2.1 with high/low speed compression adjustment

Source (it says 2019, but there is recent discussion): https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-susp...ridge-style-self-bleeding-damper-1089874.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
dtheo
231 Posts
I think this is correct...so what is the real world difference between the select charger damper and the Charger 2.1 and is it 200$ worth of noticeable?

I don't think the lyrik select is a charger 2. I think it's a new version of the charger with an IFP opposed to a bladder. Similar to the FIT damper on fox and marz forks. Here's my impression from too much research:

Select - charger RC (IFP)
Select+ - charger 2.1 with 1 compression adjustment
Ultimate - charger 2.1 with high/low speed compression adjustment

Source (it says 2019, but there is recent discussion): https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-susp...ridge-style-self-bleeding-damper-1089874.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
I honestly disagree...I bought the select model instead of the charger based models not because the are cheaper but because I wanted to have a simple set and forget style damper similar to Fox grip. And I was not really happy with the charger based Pike RCT 3 I once owned. So far I really like the performance of the select model - can’t say that the charger based Pike was better. Concerning reliabilty it’s too early to tell - haven’t ridden enough due to Covid 19

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys! I am about to buy a Rock Shox select 150mm 29”but I wonder if you guys could advise me if it might do any l difference to upgrade it installing the Debonair C1 upgrade kit fully assembly? I did it on my Pike 160mm RCT3 and it improved the smoothness and sensivity reaction of this fork. Looking forward to hearing from you and thanks!!
D

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
Just because you have adjustments doesn't mean you need to fuss with them constantly.

The most adjustable fork on the market is just as "set and forget" as the most basic, it just works better.

Not surprisingly, lower end forks with less adjustment do not work as well, so you'll need to fuss with the knobs going up, fuss going down, and still never really get it dialed.

Go for the ultimate. You can likely hunt for deals and narrow the price gap. It's worth a couple hundred.

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
Running gripfit and grip 2 back to back a bunch I definitely like gripfit better on the compression side. There's is just no window between supportive and spikey on the grip 2. Beyond expense, adjustability, and perceived performance the damper's architecture is also important.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.