Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have just serviced my Lyrik U-Turn SI 2008.
It is plushy...but it uses only 70-80% of the travel.
I finish runs with hands pains...

I am around 88KG with all the gear.
I have blue coil\spring in the lyrik.
I've just put 2.5wt oil in the top leg and 15WT in the bottom, amounts according to the manual.

Should I put less oil? will it change something?
Or should I use the red spring? when I used the red i think the sag started with 35-40%.

The fork is simple, only rebound and compression.
The compression doesn't really work, if you turn it, even few clicks, 2-4 clicks, it locks...or almost locks.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
The problem is that coil spring rates can vary by as much as 50 lbs. So you might have a red spring that is on the weak side for medium springs and a blue spring that is on the stiff side for a firm spring. I personally have what Is the opposite. The stock red spring gives me 30mm of sag, So I bought a soft yellow spring. It only gives me 33mm of sag and has very little difference in feel.

What sag do you get with the blue spring?

(im assuming you can get full travel with the red spring with no issues, if that is the case, oil is not the problem)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You mean....

There are different blue or red springs with different rate?
I need to measure the mm of sag, currently I use the blue.
With the red, as far as I remember, the sag was too much, and I went to fast to the middle of the stroke, meaning bottoming and the minute the route was more stipper...the fork was too soft.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
There are different blue or red springs with different rate?
I need to measure the mm of sag, currently I use the blue.
With the red, as far as I remember, the sag was too much, and I went to fast to the middle of the stroke, meaning bottoming and the minute the route was more stipper...the fork was too soft.
Coils have a range to there spring rate because the rates can vary. Im not sure of the exact rates for the fork coils, but for example, a medium red spring will fall between 200-250lbs, 225 being the norm, but anything between 200-250 being labeled a red spring. that would make a blue spring have a range of 250-300 with a norm of 275. Most springs will be close to the normal rating, But sometimes you can get on that is on one of the extremes, having close to 100lbs difference between springs meant to have a 50lbs difference. If you get 35-40%sag with a red spring, but only end up getting 20-25% with a blue, Im guessing you have two spring at opposite ends of the extremes giving you such a big gap. Its a pain in the ass when it happens and its pretty annoying.

If you are getting 25-30% sag from the blue spring, This would not be the case though.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just checked and....

Only 30MM Sag.
This is like 20% or less Sag, right?

Do you know or can find me a link to a lighter Blue than what you think I have?
Or stiffer red?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
You wont know what you have until it comes and you install it. They only label them as blue or red. From your weight, you should be using a blue spring. What I would do is order a new blue spring, put it in and see if it is better, If not, send it back. If it is better, clean up your current blue spring and send it back to get your money back.

Jumping 15-20% sag in one spring is crazy.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This crazy...

The truth is that I had blue, replaced with red, sold the blue Bought another blue and used it since then. The red was just too soft. But both blue were and still too stiff for me...

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
I'm 200 + gear, about 210 lb (95kg) ride weight. Using the Soft (white?) Lyrik u-turn coil set to 160mm travel I get 25% sag (40mm), with 160mm rear travel at 33 - 35% sag, while seated in ride position. I'm not doing huge drops to flat, just rough and rocky trail rides, with some smaller jumps. I'd only want a firmer sprung fork if I was doing large jumps and drops to flat with mostly smoother trail between..

I think the Lyrik weight recommendations are for the most extreme jump landing uses. Using coil forks and shocks for over 10 years I have always needed to try a few weights to get to know what I like best in a new fork or shock, and then I may change the coil weight later as I gain familiarity with the bike.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK...went back to Red :) :-(

We'll know very soon if it was for the best.
Basically I used it for a while until I meant to a DH site, and just from the breaking the fork was almost half in...so i bottomed it too many times so I went to Blue before flying out to Andorra.
My guess is that the red will be good for my most riding sites.

Just checked and I have about 30% sag while sitting and a bit standing, so it should be good.
It sounds good but most of the time when i look down it looks more like it is 40% already used...so...I don't know...did a 1.2 meters jump to flat...and the fork didn't totally bottom out, like 1 CM left...so it sounds good...will try it in the route I usually do and see.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I'm 200 + gear, about 210 lb (95kg) ride weight. Using the Soft (white?) Lyrik u-turn coil set to 160mm travel I get 25% sag (40mm), with 160mm rear travel at 33 - 35% sag, while seated in ride position. I'm not doing huge drops to flat, just rough and rocky trail rides, with some smaller jumps. I'd only want a firmer sprung fork if I was doing large jumps and drops to flat with mostly smoother trail between..

I think the Lyrik weight recommendations are for the most extreme jump landing uses. Using coil forks and shocks for over 10 years I have always needed to try a few weights to get to know what I like best in a new fork or shock, and then I may change the coil weight later as I gain familiarity with the bike.
Im 160lbs and use the soft (yellow) spring for 25% sag. :confused:

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
We'll know very soon if it was for the best.
Basically I used it for a while until I meant to a DH site, and just from the breaking the fork was almost half in...so i bottomed it too many times so I went to Blue before flying out to Andorra.
My guess is that the red will be good for my most riding sites.

Just checked and I have about 30% sag while sitting and a bit standing, so it should be good.
It sounds good but most of the time when i look down it looks more like it is 40% already used...so...I don't know...did a 1.2 meters jump to flat...and the fork didn't totally bottom out, like 1 CM left...so it sounds good...will try it in the route I usually do and see.
You should measure fork sag when in the standing position.

It sounds like you may benefit from upgrading the the mission control damper. That is also a 200 dollar upgrade (you need to upgrade to a dual flow rebound damper as well or it wont work properly). It may help you somewhat, but its a high price to pay.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Just found the table of the different colors.
Yes, that sounds about right. White is too soft for you.

I should be using blue but heck, I don't know...we'll see after few rides if my hands hurt more or less :)
Yeah, white is extra soft, yellow is soft, red is medium, blue is firm. and black is extra firm.

What I dont get is that I am 160 lbs(and thats rounding up) and derby is 200lbs and we use the same spring to get 25% sag. Im starting to wonder if Rock Shox has any idea what they label springs.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Not sure if I need to start a new thread....

Few questions -
1. With the red coil, can I do anything to make it a bit firmer? at the beginning of the travel, and in the end...
2. Anyone noticed the compression sucks? I have the lyrik IS...just rebound and compression as in the pic.
3. If I use the blue, anything I can do to make it softer and use the whole travel?

PIC -

Attachments

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Yeah, white is extra soft, yellow is soft, red is medium, blue is firm. and black is extra firm.

What I dont get is that I am 160 lbs(and thats rounding up) and derby is 200lbs and we use the same spring to get 25% sag. Im starting to wonder if Rock Shox has any idea what they label springs.
I was measuring while seated, my riding position most of the time. 25/35% when my HD is at 160mm travel. It turns into near 30/30% when standing, not sure, I tuned the sag by the best feel of balance while riding while both seated and standing, reducing coil weight until I'm able to turn in 2 or 3 clicks HS compression damping to have some trail tuning range.

I will swap to Red during my trip to Moab next week to reduce dive stepping down all those big rocks, and the sandy gravel trail and slickrock is mostly smoother than my rough eroded rocky and rooty local trails. But I've only twice bottomed the Soft landing small 3-4 foot drops awkwardly onto the fork first in 3 years (...correction: Soft=yellow? I haven't swapped the coil to see in more than a year).

The Soft coil is what feels best for the tight slow rough singletrack riding I like the best near home in Marin and in Tahoe, including Northstar's Flameout trail. I like deep sag. I'm getting older, turned 60 this year, and slower. I'd use Red all the time if I was riding as hard as I did 15 to 30 years ago if this much suspension existed for trail bikes then. Firm or X-firm? Only if hucking large.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm about 155 lbs R2R, and I use the X-soft spring. I get much less than 25% sag seated, about 28% standing. The fork feels too harsh. I wish there was an XX-soft option...

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I have found that RS coil weight ratings are on the extreme side. Most reviews tend to agree. Unless you need the bottom-out resistance due to frequent big hits, I would go with a coil weight one below the recommended level.

On my Pike, I bumped from the Med Spring, Red, to the x-Firm, Black. I think that I could have easily ridden the Firm, Blue, spring instead.
When I got my Lyrik, instead of moving to the x-Firm, as suggested by RS weight range, I went with the Firm, Blue coil. Definitely glad that I did.

With the Mission Control damper, you can get away with riding one spring weight below the recommended level with little worry about fork dive and bottom out due to the high-speed/low-speed compression adjustment. I think the Mission Control is well worth the upgrade.

Op, try finding someone on the forum that wants to experiment with their coil weights and see about swapping with them. Might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, this is exactly what I did...

I moved from Blue to Red.
I did it in the past and it was ok besides big mountain DH.
I have the IS version so no mission control, only simple compression which doesn't really work, if i compare it to my old 66 rc2x.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I moved from Blue to Red.
I did it in the past and it was ok besides big mountain DH.
I have the IS version so no mission control, only simple compression which doesn't really work, if i compare it to my old 66 rc2x.
The Motion Control IS damper has a shim stack that you can tune to get a better range of compression adjustment.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.