Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Ariolimax columbianus
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace my 36 VanR on my Nomad. For some reason when I pull up the front end there's a bit of a delay like and a clicking noise like something is loose (yet headset/steerer tube is secure). I'll probably send it to Fox as soon as I get a replacement.

Just wondering if any Lyrik/Nomad (even Heckler) owners could chime in about their Lyrik's (e.g. good, bad). I was also wondering if the travel adjust is really worth the extra money. I've never had a problem climbing w/the bike. If I were to choose a travel adjust I would rather have more of a choice i.e. +/- 10 mm range like a U-turn or the new Marzocchi AM1 SL. I really like the Rock Shox products, I have a Pike on my hardtail, and I like the ease of the maxle. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had a 2-Step for a couple of rides so can give a little feedback. It was one of the first 'stuck down' Lyriks so I might be a little less than objective seeing as it took nearly a month to get a resolution... But anyway..

Pros: Nice and light fork, seemed nice and plush straight out of the box, didn't feel like it would need much bedding in.

Cons: Didn't seem to ramp up at all when going through its travel, almost linear. You may like that, you may not. The lock down is probably a little too far at 115mm, unless you're on a really steep climb it's probably worthless. Seemed a little hard to dial in but that could be because of the 'stuck down' problem.

In summary, if I was buying a Lyrik I would only buy the coil version, and after the 'customer service' I received from RS I wouldn't buy one anyway!!

As a comparison I bought a 66SL ATA. So far (touch wood) it seems to be a bit more robust than the Lyrik. It's a lot lot smoother out of the box, which surprised me, but at the same time setup is taking a lot longer due to Marzocchis guides being totally wrong, and there being a lot more adjustability in the fork.

Although I haven't ridden it in anger (its too wet, dark, cold and muddy to setup suspension properly!) I use the travel adjust before I go out, but very rarely while riding. On my 'normal' rides I set it to 15 clicks down, which puts it at about 155mm, when I go to decent trails I'll wind it back out to 180mm (or 175mm as most have found!).

Weight wise I can't really feel that much of a difference between the Lyrik and SL, there's about half a pound difference between them on my bathroom scales but it doesn't seem to translate to anything on the trail.

If the 66SL is too much I'd look at the AM1 SL or the Lyrik Coil, can't vouch for Fox because I've never ridden them, too damn expensive!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.