Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been having problems with my u-turn lyriks since day one. The travel has been very sticky and feels like it goes in steps rather then nice and smooth. After having it sent in once and SRAM replacing the mission control, I've done a total re-build on the fork:

- took apart fork
- cleaned seals, applied judy butter to inside of them
- drained old oil and put new oil in

Still, the fork is sticky. I store my bike upside down to make sure the oil gets to both the lower and upper bushings. This seems to fix the problem temporarily but the travel eventually becomes sticky again. I'm at the point where I want to sell this fork. What else could be causing this problem?!

Should I try and get my shop to call up Rockshox/SRAM and get them to send me a new fork?

·
Registered
328 Posts
SeX Trail said:
So I've been having problems with my u-turn lyriks since day one. The travel has been very sticky and feels like it goes in steps rather then nice and smooth. After having it sent in once and SRAM replacing the mission control, I've done a total re-build on the fork:

- took apart fork
- cleaned seals, applied judy butter to inside of them
- drained old oil and put new oil in

Still, the fork is sticky. I store my bike upside down to make sure the oil gets to both the lower and upper bushings. This seems to fix the problem temporarily but the travel eventually becomes sticky again. I'm at the point where I want to sell this fork. What else could be causing this problem?!

Should I try and get my shop to call up Rockshox/SRAM and get them to send me a new fork?
I dont have a lyric, but I do ride a domain...i've had this problem only on two occassions and since i have travel adjust I wound it down and then wound it out again and that took care of it...in your case I would definitely have it replaced, especially if you like it as much as i like my domain...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea that could of got the upper bearings a bit more lubricated by doing that. I have to do that every so often to move the heat shrink tubing I installed up the coil so the fork stops making a damn clicking noise (just another problem I have). Its nearly impossible to install that stuff perfectly around a round object.

·
CHOP!
243 Posts
Yeah, you should send it back to SRAM/Rockshox.

Maybe a bushing is too tight or maybe something else but they should be able to turn it around pretty damn fast. Always have for me.

Also, don't use Judy Butter on your wiper seals man. That was made for elastomers in old school RS. Park polylube? Military grease? Works for me.

Try wrapping more spring isolators around your spring too. I had to use 4 on one spring in an old Boxxer of mine.

Good luck.:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MartinsMental said:
Yeah, you should send it back to SRAM/Rockshox.

Maybe a bushing is too tight or maybe something else but they should be able to turn it around pretty damn fast. Always have for me.

Also, don't use Judy Butter on your wiper seals man. That was made for elastomers in old school RS. Park polylube? Military grease? Works for me.

Try wrapping more spring isolators around your spring too. I had to use 4 on one spring in an old Boxxer of mine.

Good luck.:)
I was going to rebuild my fork one more time before I sent it and do all of that stuff you mentioned. Right now I have one 5" piece of heat shrink tubing on. I was going to try two 3" pieces. I was also going to try a different oil and then just slather the seals with the oil.

Im afraid to send it in a second time. My guess is they'll get the fork, see nothing wrong with it and just send it back. They didn't fix the problem the first time and they replaced the mission control + stancions. I'm guessing it HAS to be the bushings. What you suggested about a bushings being to tight seems to make sense.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
There are several simple things you can do to try to narrow down the problem in no particular order...(first thing that comes to my mind is the shrink wrap is binding on the stanchion)

1 Remove the spring from the leg and cycle by hand so see if the spring assembly is an issue
2 cycle the damper shaft by hand to try to detect any excess friction (lower shaft seal would be the most likely cause..or maybe the glide ring)
3 slide the lowers on the uppers one leg at a time (preferably with no internals do see if this is a bushing/allignment issue.

On the grease note, thick heavy greases are the WRONG thing to be using on fork parts durring assembly. The surfaces in a fork are large and work in a sliding motion (with low force input) and you want something soft and thin...and if it is going on a part in contact with damping oil, it should be specifically oil miscable (slick honey), or silicone so it does NOT disolve. Thick, colored greases, if allowed in the damper chamber, willl change the viscosity and the grease thickener (urea, lithium soap, lithium complex, clay, yes clay, calcium, aluminum, sodium) might not be compatible with your oil (and certainly can be incompatable with eachother)...= clumpy hard grease muck...not what you want in your damper.

Both my Lyric and boxxer feel mint...here is what I did the first day, and do every month or so of riding season:

Drain and clean lowers
Pack the inter-seal space with slick honey
reinstall the lowers 1/2 way
Put 15 ml mobil 1 40wt synth in the damper side
Put 30 ml in the coil spring side (DO NOT DO THIS WITH AN AIR FORK!!

Once a year, the damper fluid gets changed and every thing gets the once-over.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.