Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have done some hunting already and cant find instructions on how to remove the Floodgate out of my Lyrik. Could someone perhaps point me in the right direction? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are there any good instructions on how to take it out...there really arent any details in that thread.

·
EDR
10,433 Posts
Are there any good instructions on how to take it out...there really arent any details in that thread.
I just did this.

1) remove MiCo unit (instructions are in the service manual)
2) remove c-clip inside the bottom of the MiCo, not the outside one holding the (obvious) spring in place.
3) grab the gold dome shaped piece with fingernails and pull, I had to pull pretty hard. It is snapped in to it's fixture.
4) with a pick of some kind remove the black rubber piece below that. It's like an 1/8th inch thick.
5) remove the silver washer below that.

Done.

I rode yesterday after my floodgate mod. I need a few more rides but I'm not sure it's a good mod for me. On the drops of 2-3ft to flat I bottomed hard. I often bottom out anyway but this was more pronounced. On the slow chunky roll-offs the fork went easily through it's travel. Very smooth but it was actually causing me problems with keeping the front end from from sticking into the rocks. It was unnerving, but again, just my first ride and I am used to more resistance when pointed down. I was running 4 clicks of both slow and hi speed compression. I ramped that up to about 8 or 9 clicks but didn't have enough chunk left in the ride to determine if that helped. With the floodgate installed I never really found a need for any compression settings above minimum. Now the fork feels under sprung for my weight, but again......more rides are needed to determine if it stays out or goes back in. I wish I had a firm spring on hand to test out with this mod. That might be the ticket but if so....I'll just end up putting it back in and saving my money.

FWIW I'm 190lbs geared up running the stock spring on a 575.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
eatdrinkride said:
I just did this.

1) remove MiCo unit (instructions are in the service manual)
2) remove c-clip inside the bottom of the MiCo, not the outside one holding the (obvious) spring in place.
3) grab the gold dome shaped piece with fingernails and pull, I had to pull pretty hard. It is snapped in to it's fixture.
4) with a pick of some kind remove the black rubber piece below that. It's like an 1/8th inch thick.
5) remove the silver washer below that.

Done.

I rode yesterday after my floodgate mod. I need a few more rides but I'm not sure it's a good mod for me. On the drops of 2-3ft to flat I bottomed hard. I often bottom out anyway but this was more pronounced. On the slow chunky roll-offs the fork went easily through it's travel. Very smooth but it was actually causing me problems with keeping the front end from from sticking into the rocks. It was unnerving, but again, just my first ride and I am used to more resistance when pointed down. I was running 4 clicks of both slow and hi speed compression. I ramped that up to about 8 or 9 clicks but didn't have enough chunk left in the ride to determine if that helped. With the floodgate installed I never really found a need for any compression settings above minimum. Now the fork feels under sprung for my weight, but again......more rides are needed to determine if it stays out or goes back in. I wish I had a firm spring on hand to test out with this mod. That might be the ticket but if so....I'll just end up putting it back in and saving my money.

FWIW I'm 190lbs geared up running the stock spring on a 575.
I do think you'll need the heavier spring. I'm about 150 and the normal spring is perfect. I run no compression on either for my normal AM rides. For bigger drops I add a couple clicks of HSC and I rarely bottom it. You might be able to get away with adding a couple of coil spacers. I also had to slow down my rebound a couple of clicks after this change.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.