Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a Lyric U-turn. 3 months old, and frankly feels like a badly set up XC race fork on the small stuff. I've been hoping it'll bed in, regular oil changes, blah, but it ain't. They work OK for about a ride after an oil change, or a single DH run if i leave them upside down for a while. Then they sticky up again. I've got all the compression damping wound off.

I've asked about getting it warrantied, which Fishers (UK importer) will happily do, but with a 3 week turn around time (Tim Flooks are also fully booked up). Which ain't much use when I'm off to the Alps for the Megavalnche on Tuesday.They reckon (as I do) that its probably tight bushings. I know I've left it late, but I was really hoping that a £500 set of forks would *actually* work...

I was going to just grin and bear it, but after a 6hr trail ride yesterday, I could hardly hang onto the bars, and really can't face the thought of an hour long DH race with a setup like that.

So I'm probably going to go and buy a cylinder bore honer at lunch time and try and ease out the bushings a little. Anybody done this before? Any other options/advice?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I saw that. Slightly different issue in my case. I can get full travel without too many issues - in fact it feels nicely controlled when really battered. It's all the little-medium stuff thats an issue - it feels really sticky/spiky.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
I have had a small taste of what you describe after an overhaul and I traced it back to using grease on the seals and bushings inside the fork legs in addition to the oil bath. I believe it was the Enduro super-slick stuff... the fork didn't like it. Now I use oil only.

If you changed the oil in the damper, could something be going wrong in there? Be very careful to use the correct weight/volume, since SRAM forks aren't tunable with oil volume. If your oil were too heavy, it would feel spikey and overdamped on HS impacts.

I have never heard of Lyrik or Totem bushing being too tight, exactly the opposite actually. They tend to be a bit on the sloppy side. I wouldn't bore them until you have eliminated all other possibilities.

My 2 cents.

·
Master of None
1,462 Posts
Try some Finish Line stanchion lube in the bath oil?

You could hone the bushings, but it's pretty easy to damage the soft coating. I have done this on my Manitou fork and I had good results. Another option is to replace them; most all new bushings I have installed are oversized a bit, and I size them down to have a tighter fit.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Honing is going to depend on bushing material, an I dont know off hand what the lyric bushing are made of...they might just have a inner coating like a DU bush, or they might be solid surface....

Before you go 'power tool', you might want to confirm that it is actually a bushing issue and not seals or something else....ie: remove seals, spring,damper and slide the upper and lower together...your mention of 'turning the fork over' says that this is NOT a bushing issue...

Two other things.....to try

1 You have a U-turn coil fork, and thus, the spring leg is open top to bottom (large air space and much larger surface to lube). I would highly suggest adding extra splash/bush oil to the spring side. 30ml works (what I use in both lyrid and boxxer), and I suspect you could use a bit more.

2 get some THIN grease like slick honey and pack the inter-seal space with the grease. This will make a big difference is seal friction, trap dust that gets past the wiper, and prolong seal life.

lastly, what are you using for splash oil? Mobil 1 has worked great for me for years for this application.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.