Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
No Clue Crew
7,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I was smarter than this, but clearly that's not the case. I have rebuilt several forks in the past, though not this specific Lyric.

It's the aftermarket (black lowers) 170mm solo air Lyric. I've owned it since new and have not been easy on it. After nearly a year of constant use, I thought it was time for a rebuild. The fork had no issues, but I was certain the oil was filthy (and it was).

Followed the directions on the downloadable SRAM pdf file. My intentions were solely to change the oil in the upper and lowers. I did completely remove both the air (left) cartridge and the mission control (right) cartridge.

When I went to reassemble the fork, had an issue getting the rebound bolt (lower right leg) to fully seat into tube. It would start fine, but halfway would just spin. Ran it over to Cactus Bikes and their head mechanic took a quick look, swapped out that bolt and it sealed right up. Problem seemed solved.

Today, I finished the build the fork was going on and went for a spin. Overall it was much more buttery and smooth (the old oil really was beat), but when I got back into the garage I noted the forked was sucked down about 20mm. I pulled it back out, went for another ride and it seemed fine. However, the uppers have a distinct 2-3 mm of movement/suck down. In other words, they're sucked down 2-3mm when the fork is static. I can pull that much back out, but when released it sucks right back down.

Everything is tight and I'm not losing air pressure. Does not appear to be bushing slop. Thoughts?

·
THAT guy
139 Posts
If i had to guess, I would say its the negative air chamber holding a bit of air. I dont think its anything to worry about, but if you are really concerned with it you can tear it apart (again) and look over all the air spring components. Paying close attention to the small wavy washer at the top of the air shaft that controlls the negative air chamber.

·
No Clue Crew
7,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm. Interesting. Not familiar with how the negative chamber works on a single-air fork. Does it just regulate itself based on input from the positive (only) air chamber? If that were the case, wouldn't I be seeing a pressure change on my pump?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Or maybe you had the fork compressed when you tightened the lower bolts. Creating a vacuum in the lowers after you pressurized the main chamber.

Just a guess, but try leaving the main pressured, turn it upside down, and loosen the bolts, make sure they break the seal, then re-tighten.

·
THAT guy
139 Posts
flyxaos said:
Or maybe you had the fork compressed when you tightened the lower bolts. Creating a vacuum in the lowers after you pressurized the main chamber.

Just a guess, but try leaving the main pressured, turn it upside down, and loosen the bolts, make sure they break the seal, then re-tighten.
That sounds better than my guess. I never even though of that.

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
I'll start off by saying I know NOTHING about this fork BUT
I am buying the new Monoarch Plus RC3 rear shock that uses the
Same Solo Air spring and according to the info the negitive and positive
air pressure should be self regulating as it goes thru the compression stroke.
Shouldn't the suck down go away after some usage? :confused:

my 2c

·
No Clue Crew
7,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
flyxaos said:

Well-played, sir. This worked. Thank you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.