Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
www.obec.co.uk
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 575 frame on its way to me, have all the other bits except the fork.

Already have an 07 575 with a Fox 36 Van RC2 on it which has been fantastic. Over fast rocky stuff it is the best fork I have ever used, saves my neck on bad landings repeatedly.

But my son has now nicked the 07 575 off me and I was looking to build up the 08 (for me) to the same spec.

Just wondering about a Lyric which in theory should help with the only problem I have with the Van which is climbing. It's not a deal breaker I can live with the climbing. But is it as plush as the Van ??
Anyone running one on a 575 or indeed able to compare it to the Van.
They are both a similar price over here.
Found a number of threads elsewhere on this site giving useful info on the fork and they now seem to be quite well liked, not so many quality issues.

Any comments or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, :thumbsup:

Terry.

·
www.obec.co.uk
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
trail65 said:
looking to build an 08 575 with a 2009 van rlc 140. was your 07 van to plush for climbing?
I wouldn't say that. If you dial in the high and low speed just right it climbs well for a 160mm fork. But the previous fork I had on it was a Pace RC41 Fighter so I notice the difference the pace climbed better with launch control and weighed a lot less. But the Van leaves the Pace for dead on the downs.
Not really comparing eggs with eggs.

I'll live with the reduction in climbing ability for the downhill performance of the Van but I was just wondering if the Lyric gave the best of both worlds with U-Turn.

Also I believe the 140 Vanilla has a lockout so again not really comparing eggs with eggs. The 36 160mm Van doesn't.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Terry...you have to consider that the 08 has a revised geo...so it should climb a little better with the big fork than your 07....however having the U-turn available is a good idea, so you can get it just how you like it :thumbsup:

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
got a couple of them...

I have two Lyric U-turns. One is on my '05 575 and the other is standing by as backup for my '08 (currently running a Zocchi Z1 Light). This is an excellent fork choice for these frames. Adjust via the U-turn (from 115mm out to 160mm) for whatever type of terrain you may come across. Never owned a Vanilla 36 but the ride is really adjustable through the high and low speed compression settings. Buying the correct spring weight for your body weight and riding style is key as well.

·
www.obec.co.uk
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
crisillo said:
Terry...you have to consider that the 08 has a revised geo...so it should climb a little better with the big fork than your 07....however having the U-turn available is a good idea, so you can get it just how you like it :thumbsup:
Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't considered that.
Guess it would be wise to swap it off the 07 and give it a trial before I make my mind up.

Cheers,

Terry

·
www.obec.co.uk
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AZmtncycler said:
I have two Lyric U-turns. One is on my '05 575 and the other is standing by as backup for my '08 (currently running a Zocchi Z1 Light). This is an excellent fork choice for these frames. Adjust via the U-turn (from 115mm out to 160mm) for whatever type of terrain you may come across. Never owned a Vanilla 36 but the ride is really adjustable through the high and low speed compression settings. Buying the correct spring weight for your body weight and riding style is key as well.
After checking up on the Lyric I should be about a medium spring which comes as stock. But on the Van I prefer the lighter spring (of the the three that are supplied).

What knocked me out about the Van was its performance on high speed stutter bumps compared to any air fork I've ever tried. I guess it's down to the lack of air seals causing less friction. Do you believe the Lyric has the same feel to it ? Compared to air forks ?

Thanks for your help,

Terry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.