Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
ride
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that DST is over, we're meeting at Redstone in Lyons every Tuesday at 6pm (instead of 5:30) for our weekly ride. Lights are definitely mandatory. We'll ride about anything and it generally takes uber crappy conditions to deter us (as witnessed by http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=567595)

This Tues, we're heading to the fun of Left Hand OHV area. Think 2 super duper steep and long sucking jeep road climbs that will probably be a bit icy and 2 very excellent long and steeep descents that will probably be not as icy. Who knows, it's a crapshot, but we're hitting it anyway. We'll meet up at the entrance to the OHV park between 6:15 and 6:30 depending on when we can get off our butts and leave Lyons. Hope to see some of you there.

·
4.0" fully suspended
402 Posts
Lefthand OHV conditions were perfect weather and dirt wise. The two singletrack descents we put together was sticky and ran it scary fast. BTW Dave riding these loops together in this config had me wanting more. I'd hit it again today if I didn't need to run some errands before going to work

·
ride
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No doubt, Dirty. I liked the way we put it together. 8 miles in 1hr 45 is good stuff. And the dirt on the descents was perrrrfect!

·
4.0" fully suspended
402 Posts
put down the cheetos, get off the internet and ride

dirtydoug said:
I'd hit it again today if I didn't need to run some errands before going to work
funk dat...I ran one less errrand...didn't nap before going into work like I should have...and went back for some more but had to make it quick . As I was getting onto fs286 I saw a couple other mtbs on their way out. Surprising -only ever see motorized travel- I think I saw one hiker once several years ago. I think I prefer sharing trails with motos over hikers at times.

Another great day-perfect weather trail still tacky. This shot gives you an idea of area topography
OHV_IMG_0001.JPG
OHV_IMG_0002.JPG

fun steep twisties
OHV_IMG_0003.JPG
OHV_IMG_0004.JPG

treed section heading north good
OHV_IMG_0005.JPG

Love this trail. Short but sweet but gives a good rush because you can run it fast.
6.5 miles, 1500 ft of ascent and descent, finished in an hour makes a good lunch loop.

·
ride
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Rich, there's 2 really, really good singletracks out there if you like it hella steep and fast. Directions:

Left Hand OHV is west (up canyon) of Old Stage Road on Left Hand Canyon Drive (about 1/2way between Boulder and Lyons on US36). Park where the USFS sign is. If you go during the day, you'll hear/see gunfire :) Here's how we do it on our Tuesday rides:

286 is the main jeep road that comes down to LHC Drive. Take that up, climb, climb to a junction called 5 points. There's a kiosk at 5 points with a pretty good map. The new singletrack is not on the map. To get to it, go up 286 from 5 points. Right now, that part of 286 is icy but worth the hike. It's long and steep. After you're done cursing that steep mother of a jeep road, you'll see 287B jeep road on your left. Take it and descend a ways. You'll pass the 843 singletrack on your left (which is also super steep and rough and fun). You'll come to a point where the jeep road makes a dramatic right and down turn. On your left, you'll see a break in the fence with 2 singletracks (and a sign that says new singletrack opening soon). The trail that goes down to the left is fun social trail that'll take you back to 5 points but it has a massive hike in it. Take the trail that goes up to the right. That'll eventually turn in to a sick downhill (about 1/2 of which is brand new). The dh drops you onto an old wagon road/trail that'll pop you back onto 286. That's loop #1.

Loop #2. Climb back up to 5 points and take the jeep road that goes right and kind of down. That will turn into a mega steep road that makes the first one look easy. Take that up a handful of switchbacks (while your cursing that, know that I've seen a few guys one dab it on a SS) and you'll see trail #842 on your right. 842 is a super sweet technical traverse with some really amazing exposure. That'll drop you onto a saddle. From that saddle, lower your own saddle and take 841 down. 841 is steep, fun, rocky, fun, trenched out, fun, fast, and fun. At the bottom of 841 is where the shooters are corralled but I've always found them to be relatively polite and courteous.

Hope that helps. LHC OHV is/has been a shooting/drinking/motorized fun area for many, many moons. I think the more bicycles we get out there can help keep the trails in better bike shape and perhaps open up more opportunities in the future. You want steep $ss close in freeride trails? This is the place to lobby the USFS for. It's already wrecked :)

Enjoy!

edit - I'd like to assert that the riding there is anything but novice oriented. To have fun in LHC, you need to be used to wicked steep climbing and really steep descents with exposure, technical sections and loose terrain. It's definitely expert level fun and a lot of peeps do not like it. Oh, also - the "new singletrack opening soon" is presently open for hiking, biking, and horsing but not motos. Get it while it's good.

·
friend of Apex
4,007 Posts
I think the only mud you'll find will be on the roads. The trails were prime Tues

·
ride
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, what he said. From 5 points up to 287 was icy and will probably be wet and slimy. The snowy bits on the bottom of the new trail (845) will probably still have snow on them. Should be great today.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
hmm, very tempting. Think I might head out in a bit.

Is this where you are supposed to park?

"1280 Lefthand Canyon Dr, Boulder, CO, United States"

I can't get the streetview Google Map URL to paste correctly here, but if you put that in the search box and click street view you can see what looks like a parking lot with a camper.

·
not actually bad :)
1,768 Posts
rdhfreethought - I am no expert on the area, but just in case no one else chimes in before you leave.
The "parking area" is farther up left hand canyon than where you are saying. Maybe 1-2 miles farther up, as LHC takes a sharp left before it intersects with James Canyon - you can see some cars parked at that left hand turn on LHC if you zoom in all the way - turn to the right on the dirt road. If you don't have 4x4, you'll need to park pretty much right there on the pullout where the cars are on the google map zoomed in view. On the street view there are no cars, but you can see a gate.

Edit - And the gate makes me think of a question - is this area still open to 4x4?

·
ride
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't think I've seen a gate closed there in years. Carnage Canyon no longer exists, but the rest of it all is open to 4wd.

·
not actually bad :)
1,768 Posts
ignazjr said:
Carnage Canyon no longer exists, but the rest of it all is open to 4wd.
Dang - Carnage was the best part (right gotdirt?) but it was def getting torn up.

·
ride
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No doubt. It was a great climb on a bike, too. They closed it to motorized about a year and a half ago by gating it off but we'd been riding it still. Went there a couple of months ago to find that Carnage was completely rehabbed. You wouldn't even recognize it now. It looks great. After a Spring or 2, it's going to end up looking pretty natural again.

·
ride
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unless something in the near future drastically changes, we'll probably be riding there this coming Tuesday as well. It's about the only decent night riding option that's dry right now.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
bad andy! said:
Dang - Carnage was the best part (right gotdirt?) but it was def getting torn up.
best part for jeepin', yes. but unfortunately there were/are some folks who just can't follow the rules and figure it ain't no big deal to tear up the land, after all its just dirt and rock, right? as long as i'm having fun... :rolleyes:

glad i got up last year for a little jeep/bike exploration.

ignazjr, i'll keep an eye on the boards, as i might be up in boulder on tuesday...
:)

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
bad andy! said:
rdhfreethought - I am no expert on the area, but just in case no one else chimes in before you leave.
The "parking area" is farther up left hand canyon than where you are saying. Maybe 1-2 miles farther up, as LHC takes a sharp left before it intersects with James Canyon - you can see some cars parked at that left hand turn on LHC if you zoom in all the way - turn to the right on the dirt road. If you don't have 4x4, you'll need to park pretty much right there on the pullout where the cars are on the google map zoomed in view. On the street view there are no cars, but you can see a gate.

Edit - And the gate makes me think of a question - is this area still open to 4x4?
Ahh, maybe here "3832 Lefthand Canyon Dr, Boulder, CO, United States" then. The jeeps give it away (streetview shows jeeps):

1 - 20 of 33 Posts