Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Lynskey e-mailed me some pics of their newest 29"er. Called the Ridgeline, it will MSRP at $1250.00 and supposedly be available in late January.

Just thought I'd share.........

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
ilostmypassword said:
Just goes to show how much they were ripping us off before the economic downturn!
What a very cynical view of a US based company, trying to "do the right thing" by those of you that want a frame welded by a US employee in a US company, paying US taxes and using US tubing.

Whilst I'm sure Lynskey can happily and easily defend themselves, as a Lynskey customer I think I'll post a little more.

It's not hard to hit this price point for a US made frame - I can do it from the UK, and I'm having to do it with buying them off Lynskey!

There's a couple of things at play:-
1) They'll use Q1 production where things are a little quieter for them, to make 'em.
2) They'll batch build them.
3) They're using all the tricks we used on our frame (ie: disc mount integral in dropout) to save extra welds.
4) They're using a blasted finish to save time and money in final finishing.

Compare that to the other frames they do - with Paragons, curvy tubes, custom options... you should see where the savings are made.

It must be awful to go through life as cynical as you are - unless you missed the smiley off of course!

Merry Christmas.

·
fnar fnar brrraaaaap
2,162 Posts
It must be awful to go through life as cynical as you are - unless you missed the smiley off of course!

Merry Christmas.
I experienced first hand the Lynskey "quality" with 3+ months of waiting on a warranty, a bottom bracket that was tapped with a blunt tool on arrival and cable guides that did not "guide". I paid $4200.00 for this experience so i have grounds to be "cynical" about the "Lynskey experience" thank you very much.

ho ho ho :D

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
I sincerely hope the Dollar will skyrocket and that Lynkey won't offer my size, or useful geometry.

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
Brant - is the On One Ti frame out on the market yet?

I think all these Ti frames in this pricepoint is a good thing....more variety, access to higher quality, fuels the sport long term.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Go Kart Motzart said:
I wouldn't have been a fan anyway, but Lynskey jumped the shark when they showed up in the Performance Bike catalog. He should be smarter than that if he is looking to build a credible brand image in the bicycle world.
Ten years ago, I would have agreed with this comment. However; with the internet based catalog companies, and heck, let's face it.....local bike shops on the internet and e-bay, this sort of thinking has lost its punch for me.

So Lynskey is in Performance.......so what?

A credible image in the bicycle world is no longer sullied if your products are in Peformance. It is a different world than it was in 1998. ;)

·
WNC Native
3,929 Posts
GT- any word on geometry?

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
Batch build?

What does this term "Batch build" mean? They make a bunch of them in one run? Does anybody think this is a nice frame? I've ALWAYS wanted a sick Ti bike but something tells me this isn't it.True or false? Merry X-Mas everybody.......CF.....

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
CRAZY FRED said:
What does this term "Batch build" mean? They make a bunch of them in one run? Does anybody think this is a nice frame? I've ALWAYS wanted a sick Ti bike but something tells me this isn't it.True or false? Merry X-Mas everybody.......CF.....
I think it's great.

A vertical dropout, ti 29er - rather than ours which I pitched as an SS or Geared one as I like to hedge my bets...

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
CRAZY FRED said:
Our frame is out, and around $1500 right now.

http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Ti_29er.html

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
nitrousjunky said:
GT- any word on geometry?
I have a return e-mail in to Lynskey concerning geometry, sizing, etc. I do know that the model should be up on their website either today, or just after Christmas. I would suspect that the geo would be posted along with the other info.

As for "batch build", that refers to doing things in an assembly line-like nature. No provisions for customization. Most likely they will do "batches" of one size at a time.

Basically any way that Lynskey can cut down on the time to manufacture, so that the cost incurred by thier in house manufacturing doesn't eat into their profit margins.

Yes.......bicycle companies have to make money to survive. :rolleyes: Some folks need to get over that hurdle. ;) :D

Regardless, this is an amazing price for a titanium frame. I mean, there are several steel frames that approach this price on a mass produced scale, and not any U.S.A. made steel frames can compete at this level either. Especially if you consider the little details like the hand formed oversize down tube and neat little drop outs on this Ridgeline.

Makes you wonder what Lynskey could do on a steel frame.

·
Rohloff
1,600 Posts
CRAZY FRED said:
Yes, "batch build" means making a bunch in one run.

My opinion is this frame is not really sick, but it is suffering from some serious allergies. I was so excited when I read the title to this thread but was disappointed that it didn't have the sexy curved top tube and slider dropouts. Less concerning is it is missing shaped tubes and a polished finish. I'm not sure about the tube's butting.

All that said, it looks like a real nice budget Ti frame if it fits your needs.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I like it!

Seems you can't win around here sometimes....

Lynsky is an American company and doing what they can to expand their market.
An EBB option would be cool!!

Drop outs are neat too

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
Very very nice,

Our frame is out, and around $1500 right now.

http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Ti_29er.html
Now this frame I like..I've always had this thing for On-One frames and this one is right up my ally...Besides if they are good enough for my boy Fo well than they are good enough for ANYONE..:D I"ve just got so much on my plate right now with Banshee and Sinister BUT, come next June or July huummm ya never know......Nice job Brant...CF.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts