Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a Lynskey M290 or Pro 29 VF.

Over here in Europe, there is a slightly modified version of the Ridgeline 29 VF, called the M290. It has a slightly modified cable routing (all top- tube instead of downtube), a 27.2mm seatpost for more comfort, and can accept 2.25" tires (currently missing on the Ridgeline 29 VF).

The M290 and Ridgeline 29 VF are similar, so has anybody ridden the Ridgeline 29 VF and the Pro 29 VF back to back ?

Can you actually tell the difference in riding between both frames (the classic tubeshape vs the helix shape) ?

Thanks !

·
Registered
195 Posts
Actually the 29VF has a 27.2mm seat tube and will take a 2.25 tire. Have both of those on my 29VF so I know for sure.

A buddy of mine has the pro and I rode it and really couldn't tell a difference. There's been a couple of reviews out there saying the same thing.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. Lynskey's website says for the Ridgeline it accept tires up to 2.1.

What tires are you riding in 2.25? Schwalbe Racing Ralph's? Those are quite wide, so if they fit?

I got a response that you can't actually tell the difference between Helix and classic tubing untill 175lbs (80kg). I do prefer the classic tubing, as it's timeless.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a 2011 Pro 29 and it is an awsome ride. Its stiff in all the right places and just flies everywhere.

I have not ridden the Ridgeline to compare the ride between the two but I have seen both frames and the tyre clearance on the Pro is much better. You would have loads of clearance with a 2.25 on a Pro but I think it would be tight on the Ridge. If you ride in a muddy country then its definitley something to consider. I can take a pic of the clearance on mine if you want (its running a 2.1 Hutchinson Python at the moment)......

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks for the response. Lynskey's website says for the Ridgeline it accept tires up to 2.1.

What tires are you riding in 2.25? Schwalbe Racing Ralph's? Those are quite wide, so if they fit?

I got a response that you can't actually tell the difference between Helix and classic tubing untill 175lbs (80kg). I do prefer the classic tubing, as it's timeless.
I've run a Geax Sagaro, Geax AKA and Maxxis IKON without any clearance issues. For the life of me I cannot remember what 2.25 I had on there. The other tires are a 2.2 but Sagaro and AKAs are a pretty good volume for a 2.2.

·
Registered
145 Posts
doogie - I am 6' 1 and this fts me perfectly. I have a 34" inside leg but if you have longer legs than that then I would probably want the XL as I already run alot of seatpost out of the frame. Mine is set up with a 90mm stem by the way.

Mine is the industrial mill finish - I prefered that option simply for the fact that if you want to buff out any scratches etc its nice and easy to do. There is not a uniform patern to it so I don't have to to careful to make it look the same!

As for the ride - I have previously had an On-One Scandal 29 and a Niner EMD. Both were really nice riding bikes but I have always been a ti fan so once I knew 29" was the only way for me it was always going to be ti.
I think the main surprise for me with the Pro has been the stiffness in the drivetrain - having owned ti 26 frames before they always had a noticable amount of flex in the BB area but the Pro doesn't, its just super responsive. But its also really comfortable. I have done xc races and a couple of longer enduro rides and have not suffered with any backache, which is something I have experienced with most other hardtails I have previously had.
Wether the Helix tubing makes that much difference im not sure but I do think the larger diameter tubes on the Pro (2" downtube as opposed to 1.75" on the Ridge) will make a big difference to the stiffness in the BB and headtube areas. The front end is also very stiff for a ti frame and I think the 44mm headtube definitley helps with that.
Basically, its the best bike I have owned. Now I want to try a rigid fork........

·
Registered
49 Posts
doogie, i'm 6'-3" with a 34" inseam and ride an XL 2011 ridgeline with a 90mm stem. Love the fit. I'm more torso than leg so I just put a layback post on it (first time for me on any of my bikes) and I like the fit very much.
I know the plate design of the Pro certainly offers more tire clearance than the tubular chainstays of the Ridgeline, but the 2.1 tire width limit advertised by Lynsky seems conservative. I have my sliders almost slammed to the front (running 1x10 at the moment) to shorten the stays and I have a 2.2 Maxxis Ikon on the rear and have approximately 9-10mm of clearance left on each side between the stays and the tire. If I pushed the wheel further back it seems I could easily run a 2.25. I'm not sure how the VF chain stay length compares to the SL however (i.e. are the VF drop outs in the location of the midpoint of my sliders?).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.